Thread: FLAT BATTERY on 06 Caddy SWB

Users Country Flag

FLAT BATTERY on 06 Caddy SWB

Hey folks,

My girlfriend has a 06 Caddy SWB converted to camper. The battery drains itself within 8 hours randomly. We cannot figure out what is causing the issue? I gave it to my mechanic who waited for the car to go to "sleep" then tested for current draw but could not find anything.

Also the starter motor has struggled/stuttered a little on start up EVER since we brought it (60,000KM to 75,000km currently), however the VW mechanic says that it is a common problem with caddy's, although it sounds bad, it will keep starting untill it finally dies properly. The reason i don't think it is the starter motor is because we can jump using a second car or mini jump pack if it doesnt start.

On a side note we do have a

Dual battery setup with a THUNDER DC to DC unit installed. I have ran a Positive from the starter battery to the dc to dc charger, then from the charger to the 2nd battery. I ran a negative from the starter battery to the dc to dc and the 2nd battery. From what I have read I should have connected the negative of the 2nd battery to the chasis (and the dc to dc charger negative to this same point) NOT DIRECTLY to the starter battery, but I wouldn't think this would be draining the starter battery??

Thanks Saltd0g

Have you upgraded the radio to a newer model or an aftermarket replacement?

In regard to the charger yes it would be best if you grounded it to the chasis however in the interest of diagnosis I would recommend completely disconnecting it from the main battery.

Something else to consider is you alternator. Perhaps it's not charging the battery as well as it should. A couple of tests with a multimeter will help your diagnosis.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Horace01; 13-09-2017 at 01:06 PM.
    Using Tapatalk