Support VWWC

Thread: Cracked high level brake light (3rd Brake light)

Users Country Flag

Cracked high level brake light (3rd Brake light)

G'day,

After contacting VW HQ in Germany, there is a glimmer of hope that something will happen on this.

If you have not done so, I would appreciate it if you could post any images you might have, or your experiences with this cracking.

Looking back through things, I believe that this is more prevalent with the tailgate, rather than the barn doors, because with the tailgate, the act of closing and latching can see a shock wave sent through the brake light. Because the light is located on the barn door that is closed first, and it does not need a lot of firm action to close it, there appear to be fewer Caddys with cracked lights and barn doors. The right hand door has to be closed more firmly, but the shock from that is more cushioned.

Anyhow, it looks like there might be some action on this.
    --

I've had one replaced through warranty on both Caddys, maybe they screw them in too tight at factory? But the replacement one is holding up well on my older Caddy, done in about 2008 (sold the newer one, don't know how that one is doing)
    Main Dub:
    2010 Crafter Hanover Bus
    1956 Type 1
    2015 vRS wagon black on black

Users Country Flag
    It happens to both kinds of doors...very common.
    DARKHORSE DEVELOPMENTS
    BLUETOOTH KITS, REVERSE CAMERAS, SATNAV, UPGRADES/MODIFICATIONS, DIAGNOSTICS. ​0420839266
    BRISBANE/GOLDCOAST/IPSWICH
    www.facebook.com/Darkhorsedevelopments www.darkhorsedevelopments.com

Users Country Flag
    mine has tiny cracks through it. i'll try to take a photo tomorrow.

Bought a replica brake light through eBay . $19.95 fits well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Just to let everyone know that VW decided to accuse me of spreading information on how to cause the brake lights to crack and then refused to accept any liability. The result is that they will do nothing whatsoever.
    --

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by rychemguyswa View Post
    Bought a replica brake light through eBay . $19.95 fits well!!
    You need to wait until you get a cold snap as it is the cold that makes things brittle and then she shock of closing the doors or tailgate when cold that will see it crack.
    --

Users Country Flag

I just replaced my cracked one with an VW OEM purchased for $83 from the dealer .

Photo of old cracked one before removal.

I am planning to get a cheap chinese replacement from ebay then use the leds and circuitboards from the two OEM lights I now have for future replacements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked high level brake light (3rd Brake light)-20160105_184943-jpg  
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP