Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caddy High Level Brake Light Cracking

Users Country Flag

Caddy High Level Brake Light Cracking

G'day,

There was a short discussion on the Caddy2k forum on this where a number of Caddy owners had experienced the high level brake light cracking.

Around a year ago, I discovered mine had cracked and I put it down to a tradie hitting it with something like a scaffolding plank, as I had seen a near miss in a car park.

It turns out that it might well be a design flaw where the light does not match the curvature of the tailgate, and if the attaching screws are done up tight, then flexing, or even high temperatures could result in it cracking.

It might seem trivial, but a replacement costs over $100 if you can buy one in Australia (the dealer was prepared to order one, as long as they fitted it as well, and charged for it). I ended up having to import one from Germany via a cousin in the UK as the German reseller would not ship to Australia, and the whole exercise set me back 50 GBP.

Apparently, the trick is not to tighten it up too much if you are replacing it, or backing off the screws if it has not already cracked. To prevent losing the screws altogether, you apply a strip of duct tape over the screws and the bodywork.

So, has anyone discovered they have a cracked high level brake light on their Caddy?
    --

Users Country Flag
    Interesting, Ive changed quite a few of these for being cracked, always thought they'd been hit.

Will be interested to see the rest of the responses

Users Country Flag
    Changed about 10 this year. Usually on older caddy's ....thought it was more to do with age and sun damage...causing the plastic to get weak and then all the slamming of the back door finishing them off....VDUB...
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by buzuki View Post
    Interesting, Ive changed quite a few of these for being cracked, always thought they'd been hit.

Will be interested to see the rest of the responses
    As I said, my first thought, however there are no scuff marks on the lens, and hitting it with anything should also see the bodywork also damaged. There might not be scratches, but the bodywork should have suffered some damage at least.

From VW's point of view, this is a very easy one to dismiss given that you would have to have a video of the crack actually happening to prove otherwise, even if you never park in an area where a strike was likely to happen.
    --

Well, guess what!!!!!!

I checked my high level brake light on my Caddy, and found it has fractured in EXACTLY the same way.

Everything is flush on the lens, and there is no panel damage. Don't be confused by the weird "marking" on the left. It is a reflection of the corner of the roof of my house.

This is now getting silly, and very expensive. First, VW said it must have been hit and the screws were done up correctly. Now, it is clear it has not been hit, and the screws are only finger tight.

Caddy High Level Brake Light Cracking-high_level_brake_light_caddy-png
    Last edited by wai; 22-07-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    --

Users Country Flag
    Hi Wai

I'd be very interested in hearing how you go with dealing with this. Mine was replaced at 3 1/2 years after it had an internal short which meant the centre stop light was always on. Not had any problems since then and mine's almost 5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by fmflex View Post
    Hi Wai

I'd be very interested in hearing how you go with dealing with this. Mine was replaced at 3 1/2 years after it had an internal short which meant the centre stop light was always on. Not had any problems since then and mine's almost 5 years old.
    I will. I do not expect much from VAG. It will be their usual line of "standard for that type of vehicle".

My suspicion is that the dealers are simply using silicone to mount them.

The problem (probably worse for me as I have a tailgate instead of doors) is that the lens is used to provide rigidity for the assembly, only the part that you screw is stressed as you try to mount it. It flexes and transfers this to the lens. If you install it when it is warm, when t gets cold (and we have had some very cold nights), everything shrinks and this effectively bends the lens. The lens mounting surface is flat, whereas the opening in the tailgate is curved The mounting effectively tries to bend the lens and this causes it to crack.

You can relieve this a little by releasing the barbed pegs on either end of the lens. You don;t have to do this to the new one you get, just modify the one you are replacing. Also, use silicone to seal it, and it is just finger tight - let the head come in contact and then no more than 1/4 turn. Tape over it to avoid losing the screw if it comes out. You could even use silicone here.
    --

I realise it could be a long hunt, but would this light match up with any other car/van

Quote Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
    I realise it could be a long hunt, but would this light match up with any other car/van
    Chances are it will not.

Car makers intentionally design external visible fittings to be unique as a way of ensuring the buyer HAS to come back to them for replacements. Even when they are manufactured by a third party, there is an exclusive arrangement when it comes to supply. Just wait until a car manufacturer decides to have a wheel rim of say 16.5" and they hold the exclusive rights to manufacture that wheel size and the accompanying tyre. Then you can ONLY buy wheels and tyres from them

In case you had not realised, a ream of paper is normally 500 sheets, however Officeworks have an exclusive arrangement with the paper manufacturers for their packs (also described as a ream) have 550 sheets. Now you know why they can guarantee they cannot be beaten on price because NO ONE can find a pack of 550 sheets other than at Officeworks. The supermarkets are the same with packaging sizes.

Car makers do precisely the same thing. Design them to be just that little bit different to make it exclusive. Now this would not stop someone manufacturing a small adaptor out of plastic that corrects the mismatch between the tailgate and the lens, but that costs money and might detract from the look a little. Even adapting an adhesive one that you stick on the inside of the window glass has to contend with the CANBUS issues.
    Last edited by wai; 24-07-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    --

G'day Caddy owners.

If you have had the high level brake light crack and have a photograph of it, can you please post it here? If you have the cracked unit that you have replaced, please hang on to it and if you have not photographed it and posted the photograph here, can you please do so?

It's just that VW are looking into this, and the more "ammo", the better to stop us having to keep paying for replacements.

Thanks.
    --

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast