Support VWWC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Caddy High Level Brake Light Cracking

Users Country Flag

I just fitted my Chinese HLBL. Well, I tell a lie. I took the lens cover off the Chinese replacement and used the original innards (including the seal. The replacement seal was that thick the two original screws wouldn't reach the retainers on the light).

Now I have four spare components.
    BTW I cannot find anywhere on eBay, where you can just buy the red cover. I hate the way the world wastes plastic and components.

Feenix74 - who's to say the OEM aren't from China, South America, yada yada yada.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caddy High Level Brake Light Cracking-hlbl-jpg  

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Now, in this thread I mentioned I used silicone sealant to mount the light. When VW Australia got wind of it, I was accused of spreading information designed to make these lights crack and was used as a basis for refusing to provide one under warranty.

Well, I can say that after 18 months, I have gone through 2 winters with freezing temperatures at times, and I have only had one crack up top in the vicinity of the lip. This is not an issue as the piece is attached to the silicone bead and it does not allow any water in. Nothing more and it does not need replacing, so it clearly IS the method of mounting that puts stress on the lens and causes it to crack.

I am seriously thinking of buying one more, paying a 3D scanning outfit to scan one for me and then get them to print one out using a much more flexible, translucent plastic and then sharing that around.

See, it's not some phantom driver in a ute with scaffolding planks causing it as VW Australia claimed!
    --

Users Country Flag
    My 2011 caddy HLBL is falling apart!!

Users Country Flag
    Buy a cheap one from ebay and replace. I found that the original one was screwed in very tightly (and I believe this may have contributed to failure of the plastic), so I have tried not to overtighten the replacement one.

I have kept the LED strip from the original one (made in Germany by Hella) as a spare in case the LEDs fail in the replacement one at some stage in the future.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    G'day,

Just thought I'd follow this up.

Well, after effectively "bonding" the unit to the tailgate, I have now gone for something like 4 years without the lens cracking. Shortly after installing it I did end up with a tiny crack in the surround, but because I first fixed the gasket to the lens and then the whole lot to the tail gate, There was no leak and the crack cannot be dislodged.

So, even though I was accused of causing it to crack, it has actually prevented cracking. But the saga does not end there.

I have been through 4 "pink slip" inspections but it was the most recent one where the dealer (who had done the previous 3 and had no problem) decided that their metrics require the generation of work and so decided that the crack that is effectively glued back was no longer acceptable. The inspector said (and I quote) "Because the brake light was no longer as it left the factory, it was unacceptable"! Basically, this meant that if they wanted, they could fail the inspection for ANYTHING where something other than a VW original item was fitted. So, a head unit, or aftermarket headlights, or aftermarket tail lights could be defected.

Naturally, I complained, and was then told that I must consider the high level brake light on the Caddy as "a consumable item like tyres, and brakes. Yes, they crack on new cars, but that is the way that VW had designed the light and it has to be that way."!

The dealer was even reluctant to let me have the car back (but I insisted), I was expecting the light to be smashed in with a hammer. When they did bring the car back, surprise, surprise, another inspector saw it and passed it!

Oh, the cost for doing this? Around $300 to supply and fit when you can buy them online for as low as $12.50, and they are OEM parts.

That's the last time I go there for anything.

What I have discovered is that the LEDs actually give off red light, so you can even have a clear lens. I am in the process of preparing the drawings for a replacement unit and all the bits to glue together something more durable UV stabilised plastic. I am also trying to work out a simple jig to glue it consistently. I will then apply for and get it formally approved.

The saga of the high level brake light is a joke, and none of the authorities are prepared to do anything about. Even organisations like City of Sydney and RACV have the Caddy in their fleet, but they do not want to do anything about it because they probably get theirs replaced at no cost.
    Last edited by wai; 03-07-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    --

Users Country Flag
    My replacement seems to be holding up at the moment, I think the factory over tightens the screws holding the light in place causing too much stress in the plastic body is contributing factor to this problem.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

got a replacement for about $12 AU from China. best thing ever

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345