Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caddy High Level Brake Light Cracking

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
    Dept of Fair Trading/ Consumer Affairs etc maybe???
    That is next, and I will have 2 examples of failed units. The problem is that I have to buy one (to be done today), as they want the physical items.

Oh, and it will not be just the ACCC, but it will be the Department of Infrastructure and Transport as this is an ADR60 item.
    --

Users Country Flag
    Just checked my wife's Caddy Maxi Life and it has cracked in the bottom RH corner.
    2012 Caddy Maxi Life
    2011 Multivan
    2008 Skoda Scout (Gone.......L)

Quote Originally Posted by Skoda VW View Post
    Just checked my wife's Caddy Maxi Life and it has cracked in the bottom RH corner.
    Sorry to hear.

Unfortunately, VW and its dealers have their collective heads in the sand or up....

Order a replacement from one of the eBay sellers. Before you fit it, you need to modify the black mounting piece.

There are 10 "hooks" that attach it to the red lens. You only need the four in the middle to hold it. The one at each end and the two on the long sides at each end need to be clipped off. You only need to clip the hook piece, and not it entirely.

Now when you install it, you need to apply a very small amount of silicone sealer on to the mounting surface and then fix the screws that hold it in place. You will hear the modified hooks sliding past the lens as you do up the screws. They need to be really loose. Tape them over to stop them coming out entirely.

It's not the best, but it does stop water getting into the door cavity.
    --

I'd suggest trying another dealer for a warranty claim.

Both my 07 and 11 Caddys had these brake lights replaced about 12 months into ownership. The one on the 07 is still good (the 11 is long gone)
    Main Dub:
    2010 Crafter Hanover Bus
    1956 Type 1
    2015 vRS wagon black on black

Quote Originally Posted by Lams View Post
    I'd suggest trying another dealer for a warranty claim.

Both my 07 and 11 Caddys had these brake lights replaced about 12 months into ownership. The one on the 07 is still good (the 11 is long gone)
    I had been in touch with VW Australia. They asked me to nominate the dealer for the inspection which I did (Alto VW in Blacktown). The light was inspected and it was acknowledged by the dealer that it had not been hit by something, however they had to get it approved by VW Australia. That's where it ended.

The dealer has not returned calls, or responded to e-mails, and neither has VW Australia. They know that if I do not want water int the tailgate cavity, I was going to have to do something myself.

VW. A great brand ruined by a pathetic dealer network and VW Australia!
    --

Users Country Flag
    Had a knock back on warranty claim from VW dealer. Apparently it has been hit.
    Caddy High Level Brake Light Cracking-imag0163-jpg
    2012 Caddy Maxi Life
    2011 Multivan

Had a knock back on warranty claim from VW dealer. Apparently it has been hit.
    Caddy High Level Brake Light Cracking-imag0163-jpg
    No, its not been hit. It it had been hit, there would have been scuff marks, and there would have been an indentation. The surrounding panel work would also have been damaged.

This is the problem. VW simply ignore customers, yet they have to replace them in the holding yards, and even the dealers know about this as they get a new lamp to be fitted immediately prior to sale.

It's amazing how they have been hit and it always impacts just the light and NEVER the surrounding panel work!
    --

Users Country Flag
    Had VW Customer Care call me about this issue today. Got the official company line and "It is not a known defect" and that they won't act on photos. Need to take the car to a dealer for inspection....but it has already been there so there is no point.
    2012 Caddy Maxi Life
    2011 Multivan

Had VW Customer Care call me about this issue today. Got the official company line and "It is not a known defect" and that they won't act on photos. Need to take the car to a dealer for inspection....but it has already been there so there is no point.
    Same line spun to me in December 2014. The dealer inspected it and confirmed that it was not impact damage, but nothing was done, and all attempts to find out what the status has yielded nothing.

Yeah..."not a known defect". Their own inventory records would prove otherwise. Imagine this. Of all the cars sold with external high level brake lights, the VW Caddy is the only one which has such a large number of spare parts sold. Of course it is a "known defect".

I was driving back from site through Campbelltown and there was a nice dark blue Maxi Life 2.0 litre TDI where the lower right corner had broken away completely exposing the rubber gasket. Unfortunately, the owner is probably completely unaware of the cracked light.

The only way is for affected owners to act together. There is growing anger on the Caddy2k forum as well.
    --

Users Country Flag

Just saw a caddy at the servo while I was getting fuel and I asked the driver if he had noticed that his light was cracked. Told him of the issue and he has 10 caddys in his business. He is going to check all of them now and take the one he was driving to vw dealer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast