Support VWWC

Thread: Caddy buying advise please

Users Country Flag

Caddy buying advise please

Hi all,... Found a Caddi 2010 Maxi with appro 34k on the clock... Sounds a bit low..? It's from a large second hand dealer in Melb,(cnr Ferntree Gully Rd and Dandenong Rd).
    Would really appreciate an honest opinion on the Caddy as well, just been bitten by a 2007 Transpoter,...
    Thanks in advance, cheers.

I really like my Caddy. Mine is a 2007 1.9 TDi with DSG.

It's reliable, pretty cheap to run and service costs are not too bad for a European vehicle.

The only complaint I had was the seats are not very comfortable as they have minimal lumbar support. I took them out and dropped in some Golf MK 6 seats.

Engine can be a little sluggish so I've also had it remapped.

There can be significant dsg/turbo lag especially when almost coming to a stop then having to accelerate quickly eg. When comming up to a give way or stop sign.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I have a 2011 Caddy Life 1.6l TDI. It is the facelifted one with the Dieselgate engine. It looks like this but in white:

Luckily we test drove the Maxi Life with a DSG box. My wife and I hated the DSG so we went with the manual instead (lucky because I believe that DSG box is the one that has had all the problems). Avoid the DSG like the plague if you can, it requires an extra servicing every 60k, so the costs mount up quickly.

It is my daily ride to/from work and for dropping off and picking up the preschoolers. I love it and a great little peoplemover. When I have some money saved up I will remap the engine just to get a bit more grunt (it moves well for a peoplemover, very fuel efficient and you can keep up with the traffic without a problem but its always nice to have a bit more torque and power up your sleeve in certain situations). The leaf-spring rear suspension can be a bit rough when you hit bumps, especially with a light load and when mid-cornering. The high body also give a bit more body roll than a standard passenger car. However it is very stable on the highway and handles much better than a Tarago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caddy buying advise please-2011-vw-caddy-2-jpg  
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    stay away from petrol models, they are seriously under powered and nothing can be done to fix it, i regret getting mine every single day ! but i still love slow and low turtle !
    Last edited by psyone; 18-03-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I just bought a 2014 build 15 compliance 1.6 tdi and i love it,
    Only complaint on mine is no rear windows make it hard to reverse out of spots.
    I got it for a bargain $25k drive away with 20km on the clock as a un used demo about a month ago so i can't complain.
    Just put a false floor in the back, tinted the windows, ordered window shields and am looking for some rims.

Yep you soon learn to reverse into parking spots so you can just drive out. Also 45degree parking bays are out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    haha, yea you get good at reversed parking, real fast! reversing out of the drive way is the worse tho. not being able to see whats happening on the left side of the road. as for the reversing camera, if you want a cheap, decent quality one, grab this one. CAR Reverse Rear Parking Camera Volkswagen Caddy Life Tunezup | eBay I've had mine for over 2 years and its still going strong.

Users Country Flag
    I've got a 2011 1.6 TDi DSG. The DSG lag is annoying but otherwise I love it. 1200km's out of a tank on a long trip. 800-900 around town. Left hand blind side is shocking and I'm not sure how it passes and inspections but I can live with it. Cruise control is a must as are GTI seats and MFSW with paddle shift. H&R springs are awesome, so are 19" wheels.

Not sure about 2007 but mine is a dry clutch setup so no servicing required. I think the earlier ones need it though? Correct me if I'm wrong. I do the oil changes myself now that it's out of warranty and buy 20Litre drums of Penrite 5w30 to get me through, so servicing is cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Are you running standard shocks with H&R springs, and what about the rear?
    Looking at lowering mine but i will go 17x7 et 39/40 so i can still run snow chains(need about 12-15mm to strut).