Thread: Baby Seat

Users Country Flag

Baby Seat

Hi all, I have a 2005 swb Caddy with no rear seat and I understand it is legal in QLD to fit a child seat in the front seat if there is no alternative. My question is has anyone done this successfully and/or any tips on the rear mounting for the strap? Cheers

Users Country Flag
    I believe that it is possible to install a child seat into the front seat but that you need to have the passenger airbag (if your 2005 Caddy has one) disabled then you will need an anchor point for the top tether strap. Probably need to have one professionally installed.

I have my two car seats in the middle row of my Caddy Life SWB. The left and centre anchors are mounted on the back of the seat. The right anchor is on the back roof near the rear door, I assume because the right seat is not strong enough by itself to act as the anchor (although it has isofix attachment points, so go figure . . .). There is an equivalent anchor point on the left hand side rear roof (which would line up with the front passenger seat) but it is blanked over, so that might be the best place to start for a custom installed anchor point.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    I have a booster seat in the front of my Transporter.

No top tether, and airbag not disabled. Heavily depends on the size of the child, and whether they fit the small range of booster seats that aren't top-tethered.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    As stated the seats depend on the age/size of the child, 4 years+ can use front seat.
    You could use a lightweight booster seat, if less than 2kg no tether is required.
    I use this as a spare/hire/taxi/uber.
    Infasecure Traveller Booster Seat
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Thanks guys for the info on the lightweight boosters. I will keep them in mind as my 4 and 6 year olds outgrow their existing harnessed seats. It will certainly make removing the carseats a much easier operation when I want to fold down the middle row seats so I can put a load in the back of the Caddy Life.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for replies gents. The child is 1 year old so I’ll need a tethered seat I think. FYI have discovered RACQ have a fitting service for $55 so that may be the best option, legality wise... Cheers

Users Country Flag
    In your case, you will need a top-tethered seat.

There won't be an anchor point, so you'll need to have a CRAB bar installed. This goes behind the front seats, affixed to the B-pillars.

The fitting service RACQ offers, won't apply to you until you have an anchor point installed for the top-tether strap.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    With a top tether seat, this is the new version of the one we have multiple units of in multiple cars across our extended family Emerge Vogue – InfaSecure

The good thing is that it is designed for 6 months to 8 years with a full 6 point harness that works all the way up to 8 years. We have found the "Twist&Lift" adjustment system is really handy when you have to be able to cater for different sized kids (makes life much easier for mother-in-law when she can be ferrying our 6 year old or our 4 year old or 3 year old niece).

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for the info; I spoke to RACQ yesterday after my post to discover (as you know) they only install the seat and not the anchor point, which is a bit useless! I have a cargo barrier installed; is this the same as a crab bar? If not, any idea where I can source one from? Thanks again...