Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V6 Amarok Handling on Wet Roads

Users Country Flag

V6 Amarok Handling on Wet Roads

Hi All,

I've had my Sportline for a few months now and have noticed an unnerving trait on wet roads and I'm not sure if it's the OEM tyres or an Amarok specific trait.

My ute has the stock 18 inch wheels fitted with Continental Cross Contact tyres. I notice that when turning at low speed on wet roads there is a lot of understeer on roads I'm very familiar with at normal conservative speeds I'd travel in any car. It's most noticeable turning at at tee intersection or a round about where you don't come to a complete stop before turning in. Straightline grip on wet roads under fairly heavy acceleration is actually pretty impressive so not sure what's going on. Currently using VW recommended tyre pressures and no load in the tray.

Any other Amarok owners noticed anything similar ?

Cheers

Has this got an LSD or similar locker in it? It sounds like the behaviour I would expect from an LSD that is wound up to tight in the plate settings, though these days I think they have electronic control. If it has got one I would be taking it to a dealer and talking to them and the next wet day take a tech from the dealer for a ride and showing him if they don't want to look at it or can't find anything wrong.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    No LSD in any of these new breed of utes unfortunately. They use clever electrics and a rear diff lock as a last resort.

I've owned cars with permanently locked diffs and none pushed the front like the Amarok - but they were race cars with grippy race tyres.

My feeling is it may be the tyres. I have a mate with a 2WD Amarok that doesn't have this issue but I don't think his wheels will fit over the larger V6 front brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Understeer is pretty common for AWD cars (as in the front pushes wide on sharp corners) ..... and the Amarok is just a BIG AWD car really.

The Conti's are amongst the best road tyres you can get for a SUV (std fitment on BMW X5s too) so I doubt that would be the problem.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Do they auto lock the centre diff on loss of traction? If so, that's what may be happening
    Richard
    2007 Black Jetta 103TDI Manual, 18s, body kit + rear spoiler
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 Manual - The petrol guzzler!

Quote Originally Posted by V6 Rok View Post
    No LSD in any of these new breed of utes unfortunately. They use clever electrics and a rear diff lock as a last resort.

I've owned cars with permanently locked diffs and none pushed the front like the Amarok - but they were race cars with grippy race tyres.

My feeling is it may be the tyres. I have a mate with a 2WD Amarok that doesn't have this issue but I don't think his wheels will fit over the larger V6 front brakes.
    I wonder what happens if you unplug the electronic diff lock to prove if it is misbehaving.

Users Country Flag
    I haven't noticed any issues like yours, although my OE tyres are Michelin Primacy and I run 36 psi in the front and 40 in the rears.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    I wonder what happens if you unplug the electronic diff lock to prove if it is misbehaving.
    No EDL in Amarok. It has mechanical difflock electricaly engaged by driver.
    Last edited by Transporter; 25-02-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by V6 Rok View Post

Did you try to put some load at the back in the tray?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Having driven cars with permanently locked diffs, I know the diff lock is not engaged. Unplugging the actuator cable would most likely show a fault code.
    Not having owned an AWD car before it may well be a characteristic of AWD, but I highly doubt that is the whole problem as the scenario that creates the wet road understeer in so insignificant that those same conditions, on the very same roads with previous utes, have never created cause for concern at such slow speeds coasting into an intersection with very little throttle. If it does turn out to just be how it is I'll be very disappointed as the even with all the tech in the Amarok it's nowhere near as safe on a wet road as any ute I've owned in the last 30 years ! The fact that it handles excellent for it's size in dry conditions points me to the tyres as the main culprit.

I notice the 18 inch wheels seem to come with the Continetal Cross Contact or Michelin Primacy tyres. The Conti's have a tread wear rating of 680 which is considerably higher than other LT/AT tyres I've used before indicating a hard/long lasting compound. Can any owners with the Michelin's have a look at the tread wear number for those ?
    I've owned a few cars and motorbikes that came with Conti's as original fitment and I've always preferred what ever I've replaced them with. VW recommends 29/29 without a load and I'm at 30/30 as I rarely carry any weight so can't move the load around. I'll experiment with tyre pressures a bit more next and post up results - if/when it rains again any time soon !

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast