Support VWWC

Thread: Upgrades for 2020 highline 580?!

Upgrades for 2020 highline 580?!

Just purchased Amarok and due for delivery in Feb, so pulling together list of mods to make - any suggestions?

(Planning on doing easier off road - beach driving and towing caravan).

1. change OEM tyres - Pirelli AT+ - any other tyre suggestions?
    2. Front recovery points - any suggestions for kits?
    3. Transmission cooler? Is that really needed?
    4. Diff breather kit?? I suppose only if going through 500mm water or deeper

Thanks C

If you dont plan on doing any serious recoveries YBOB are a good choice or net4x4 but you will wait for a while for them
    If you plan on doing heavy off-road work and towing would highly recommend the cooler from wholesale auto
    If your going to do diff breather you will need to do breathers for everything else and a snorkel if you want to exceed 500mm
    Stage 2 Manual Polo GTI 6C, Stage 1 Amarok V6 x2, Mk1 Golf 1.8t 20v swapped

Thanks for that.. does the Amarok already have a transmission cooler? But if towing in hot weather it’s worth getting a mod?

no it doesnt have a trans cooler i dont think but yes defiantly worth it.
    Also i would reccomend advanced installation service to do the work if your looking for a place.
    Stage 2 Manual Polo GTI 6C, Stage 1 Amarok V6 x2, Mk1 Golf 1.8t 20v swapped

Users Country Flag
    1. Tyres - consider also Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Just got these fitted, replacing my Bridgestone duellers. Feels like a new car
    2. Front Recovery - Roadsafe also do these points and they are rated.would still suggest using a bridle strap for recoveries
    regarding points 3 and 4 I can’t comment to much, but Diff breathers are recommended.

also missing from your mods is a Snorkel. The Amarok has a very low air intake compared to other 4x4s and this causes issues when off roaring in clubs or convoys. I’ve had my air box flooded (stupidly) but got got saved my by the smarts in the engine - so no serious damage. Snorkel is a worthwhile investment.

do you have a tow bar on your vehicle where you can install a hitch receiver for rear recoveries if required?

Quote Originally Posted by Colinginger View Post
    Just purchased Amarok and due for delivery in Feb, so pulling together list of mods to make - any suggestions?

(Planning on doing easier off road - beach driving and towing caravan).

1. change OEM tyres - Pirelli AT+ - any other tyre suggestions?
    2. Front recovery points - any suggestions for kits?
    3. Transmission cooler? Is that really needed?
    4. Diff breather kit?? I suppose only if going through 500mm water or deeper

Thanks C

Users Country Flag
    Hey Colinginger,

Mind me asking what options you ended up going with or are planning to go with on your build... I'm in a similar position with the same car. I will be towing the titanic for a crap load of kms later this year and planning the following mods:
    - TPMS for Car and Van
    - Transmission Cooler
    - OBDLink for temp monitoring/alerting (plus economy rates etc.)
    - New tyres, looking at Coopers, but not 100% on the fitting correctly (265 vs. 255 OEM), so very interested in peoples ideas about these. Also looking at Bridgestone Dueler A/T 697. Never considered the Falken, will take a look.
    - Nudge Bar/Lights
    - Dash Cam (hard wired)
    - Canopy
    - Electrical upgrades (for towing)
    - Bunch of other bits and pieces.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    My upgrades were; ARB b.bar, ARB canopy, ARB drawers, ARB twin air compressor, Redarc BCDC 12/40 lithium with 105Ah Lithium battery and 1000W Inverter. UHF radio with B/Tooth (the latest GME unit). No roof rack yet, but I've fitted cross bars for now to fit an awning - don't know which one yet.
    Under the bonnet, PROVENT200. Soon will tune it, just need to do 2,000km more to get it to 10,000km - yeah, its only the weekend warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by canucka View Post
    Hey Colinginger,

Mind me asking what options you ended up going with or are planning to go with on your build... I'm in a similar position with the same car. I will be towing the titanic for a crap load of kms later this year and planning the following mods:
    - TPMS for Car and Van
    - Transmission Cooler
    - OBDLink for temp monitoring/alerting (plus economy rates etc.)
    - New tyres, looking at Coopers, but not 100% on the fitting correctly (265 vs. 255 OEM), so very interested in peoples ideas about these. Also looking at Bridgestone Dueler A/T 697. Never considered the Falken, will take a look.
    - Nudge Bar/Lights
    - Dash Cam (hard wired)
    - Canopy
    - Electrical upgrades (for towing)
    - Bunch of other bits and pieces.

Cheers
    Picked up car on Thursday 11/02

Options from dealer
    1. Leather seats
    2. Tow bar
    3. Roof platform
    4. Rhino tub spray liner
    5. Tub cover

So far added/changed (been busy few days)
    1. falken wildpeak AT3 tyres 265/60/R18 - note you can fit 265/65 but I could not find them anywhere!
    2. ARB 2m x 2.5m awning
    3. Grunt trail assist strut
    4. YBOB recover points

Going to get:
    1. Diff breather kit
    2. Dual battery wiring and battery
    3. Light bar on roof rack
    4. Fridge slide in tub

Will wait and see how I go with towing and transmission cooler.

Note: all the bolt on the vehicle are spline - so had to get a socket set to fit them!