Support VWWC

Thread: Tub Light to Canopy Lighting

Tub Light to Canopy Lighting

Hey guys,
    I’m getting a new canopy on my ROK, just wondering if anyone had converted the tub light to canopy lighting?

Are you talking about the rear centre brake light that has a tub light in it? If so, wouldn't be worth messing around with IMO. You could use it a for lighting your canopy. I assume as with years gone by, canopies come with internal lights anyway?

Yeah that’s the one.
    I got an rsi canopy which has rechargeable battery lights unfortunately.
    Could I just wire into the 12v socket in the tub and have a switch? the socket is taken by a fridge.

I had a carryboy canopy. They disconnected the centre brake and tub light by pulling the plug behind it. (to stop reflection) They then ran a fused wire from the battery to the canopy light. Brake light was connected to the wire behind the left tail light with a scotch clip.

Sounds like a good idea to stop the reflection. Thanks Doc.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamarok View Post
    Hey guys,
    I’m getting a new canopy on my ROK, just wondering if anyone had converted the tub light to canopy lighting?
    Didn't have to. Went to Oz Canopies @ Riverstone and light came with it. Bolt on job too, no drilling. $2,500 fitted I think, has a dust deflector over rear window with brake light built in, central locking, tinted windows.....

Users Country Flag

If you're going to consider wiring up the canopy lights to the vehicle electrics, it's time to break out the voltmeter. Check that both systems are 12v before connecting. If that light is a 3v (2xAA) battery setup, you've got issues.
    As far as 12v outlets go, I had 2 outlets put in the tub pre-delivery by ARB for about $100. You can never have enough power outlets.