Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TSI300 Amarok Tune - recommendations ?

Hes come back and said he hasn't dyno'd one of these after to reveal kw return but has said in theory pertaining to the GTI engine it should be the same. I may try a few other places and see what they come back with, as I don't want to spend $1000 for 30 kw .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanrhys View Post
    Hes come back and said he hasn't dyno'd one of these after to reveal kw return but has said in theory pertaining to the GTI engine it should be the same. I may try a few other places and see what they come back with, as I don't want to spend $1000 for 30 kw .
    Given how few TSI Amaroks are getting around (let alone the very small percentage of owners who would tune them) he has probably never done one before hence why he has no idea. These guys do Golf GTI's, R's, Audi S3's and RS3's as their bread and butter all day. Anything out of the ordinary like a Amarok is likely to have them scratching their heads.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I'd take Sharkie & Lucas R's advice and only go with the APR tune. I've had mine done for nearly one year now and couldn't be happier with the tune!
    I did my research too and came to the conclusion that the APR is the only proper tune for the TSI300.

My advice is to hunt around a few APR dealers as the prices were anywhere from $699-$1300 for the same tune!
    Last edited by EZZA; 08-04-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Iv done some research and emailing other companies in which iv managed to find someone who knows what they are talking about, and have done this tune before.

Iv booked in at European Autotech. At mona vale

Derek who I spoke to has over 20 years experience with tunes and APR, he was on the same page immediately with the correct information when I emailed him and also passed me onto the correct details for the tune.

He basically said as long as the ecu supports this tune there will be no dramas with installing the APR tune. If not there was some other options, $899 installed so booked in for Monday, and will share all information before and after.

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI Amarok ECU Upgrade! - APR Blog

Users Country Flag
    Iv done some research and emailing other companies in which iv managed to find someone who knows what they are talking about, and have done this tune before.

Derek who I spoke to has over 20 years experience with tunes and APR, he was on the same page immediately with the correct information when I emailed him and also passed me onto the correct details for the tune.

He basically said as long as the ecu supports this tune there will be no dramas with installing the APR tune. If not there was some other options, $899 installed so booked in for Monday, and will share all information before and after.

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI Amarok ECU Upgrade! - APR Blog
    Derek is well respected, been an APR (and OEM+) dealer for years. He'll make sure you are happy.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

I remember driving down from Newcastle to Mona Vale about 14 years ago with my brother when he bought his brand new 2008 VW Polo GTI to get it tuned with European Autotech.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 12-04-2022 at 08:03 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Good feedback to hear which coincides with my experience with Derek at European Autotech. Dropped in around 9, was out on the road by 9:30, they were easily able to locate the box code and the APR was flashed nicely, I still have some 91 in the tank so I haven't hit it much but I can feel the major torque response already, and well as the new amount of pull it now has when upping hills and such. Turbo makes a loud wistle noise now, given the fact that the turbo was running 10psi and now 20 he alleged

Tomorrow I am filling up with 98 so after a few kms ill give it a decent run and see how much different it really is. Interestingly enough he sited that I could upgrade to a golf R turbo k04 for some more power without over doing it, he did say they do a 300kw for the Amarok which is insane, but as most cars a lot of things will need to be upgraded. I am however thinking of getting the APR coil packs and potentially a golf R intercooler as an upgrade for a bit more flow.

@ sharkie - didn't have any issues locking 2nd to 3rd, the transactions seam just as smooth . Its actually becoming the best work ute iv ever owned as far as a ute with an aluminium tray.

Users Country Flag
    Good feedback to hear which coincides with my experience with Derek at European Autotech. Dropped in around 9, was out on the road by 9:30, they were easily able to locate the box code and the APR was flashed nicely, I still have some 91 in the tank so I haven't hit it much but I can feel the major torque response already, and well as the new amount of pull it now has when upping hills and such. Turbo makes a loud wistle noise now, given the fact that the turbo was running 10psi and now 20 he alleged

Tomorrow I am filling up with 98 so after a few kms ill give it a decent run and see how much different it really is. Interestingly enough he sited that I could upgrade to a golf R turbo k04 for some more power without over doing it, he did say they do a 300kw for the Amarok which is insane, but as most cars a lot of things will need to be upgraded. I am however thinking of getting the APR coil packs and potentially a golf R intercooler as an upgrade for a bit more flow.

@ sharkie - didn't have any issues locking 2nd to 3rd, the transactions seam just as smooth . Its actually becoming the best work ute iv ever owned as far as a ute with an aluminium tray.
    The Golf R intercooler is actually smaller than the Amarok's. My Amarok was the APR testbed for the tune and we pulled everything apart back then and we found no benefit in the Golf R intercooler.

Wait till you to a full blown launch chasing a time to discover the baulkiness of the 2nd to 3rd shift. At normal power levels you cant really tell

I will talk to Derek about the K04 upgrade. I've seen other tuners try that on the TSI300 and they made less power than a Stg1 APR, so it will be interesting to see what tune is used for that (and some dyno figures).
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    I still have some 91 in the tank so I haven't hit it much
    You are a brave man running 91 octane in a modern high compression turbo engine.

Good to hear you got the tune done without any drama. 98 octane from now on though (or 95 at a minimum).
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 13-04-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    You are a brave man running 91 octane in a modern high compression turbo engine.

Good to hear you got the tune done without any drama. 98 octane from now one though (or 95 at a minimum).
    Incidentally, even stock you should not have run 91 .... minimum is 95, with 98 recommended by VW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast