Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSI Amaroks

Users Country Flag

TSI Amaroks

This one is on Carsguide,

2012 Volkswagen Amarok TSI300 (4X2) For Sale $11,995 Manual Ute / Tray | carsguide

If only I had more driveways, it’d be a good project car.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    If only I had more driveways, it’d be a good project car.

I have the same problem ....

Though I'd probably skip on this particular TSI, milage will require extensive $$$ to be spent IMO.

That said, love our TSI Amarok and would easily buy another (if I could). Power, fuel economy and driveability makes it a winner over the TDIs. Performance wise its even on par with a V6!
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Gents,

I am looking at getting a rok soon, how do the petrol compare to the Diesel Utes?

I'm not after any real huge work horse, just a ute to use at work (Light electrician loads) a few projects around the house on the weekend and towing the KTM out for a ride. Possibly a camping trip every now and then....

Thanks
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coxy09 View Post
    Gents,

I am looking at getting a rok soon, how do the petrol compare to the Diesel Utes?

I'm not after any real huge work horse, just a ute to use at work (Light electrician loads) a few projects around the house on the weekend and towing the KTM out for a ride. Possibly a camping trip every now and then....

Thanks
    Obviously RWD only, so you’ll be limited to dirt roads only. Diesel engine will last much longer than TSI and has better fuel economy especially when towing. In long run for everyday use the secondhand TDI will be more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Obviously RWD only, so you’ll be limited to dirt roads only. Diesel engine will last much longer than TSI and has better fuel economy especially when towing. In long run for everyday use the secondhand TDI will be more reliable.
    Thanks for that Transporter,

The RWD doesn’t worry me as I just don’t think I’ll be doing massive 4x4 driving around at all, that’s why I have the dirt bike I guess. Are these the same 2 Ltr units in the tiguans? I thought engine life was pretty good on these motors?
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

Users Country Flag
    The TSI Amarok engine is based on the MK6 GTI engine, although it does run a different exhaust cam shaft and a different turbo. Its like a mk2.5 of the EA888 (with the GTI Mk6 and Tiguan 155TSI being a mk2). Those differences mean that it actually tunes a bit higher than a MK6 GTI (~8kw/30NM more in the Amarok).

A tuned TSI is quick .... <7s 0-100 and has better fuel economy than the TDIs on the open road when loaded and when driving at the speed limit. Overtaking is quick and easy unlike the TDIs. I get ~8l/100km loaded with 5 people and a full tray (for a week in the snow) driving around 110-115km/h true speed (GPS measured). I have not yet heard of any TDI Amarok that can do that.

The important thing to do is to look at the options (from the factory) when buying a TSI. It had a bit available but not a lot of people took the options
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

I’m not going to argue, the TSI Amarok is quite rare and has good tuning potential, it’s quicker than 2.0TDI, because it’s also lighter and has less power loss in the drivetrain, one day I’d like to get one, it must be fun to drive compared to 2.0TDI.

However. The same 2L TSI in RS Octavia struggles to get 8.6L on open roads with the driver only and empty car, even if you stick to the speed limit 100km/h or 110km/h that’s just my observations. It surprises me that much heavier Amarok with the same engine would return better fuel economy, Sharkie.
    I could get easily 9.0-9.5L/100km from my old 2.0TDI, not thinking about saving fuel on take offs, just staying within the speed limits. In the city short trips it was always no more than 10.5L/100km usually 10, with the tray loaded to max. with the tools. IMO the fuel economy is not better in the 2.0TSI and would be much worst in the heavy city traffic. Though you don’t buy either one for the fuel economy.

Reliability of the 2.0TSI? See my signature.
    If I had the TSI engine, I’d have to replace the tensioner and chain every 100,000km, very expensive job compared to TDI. I guess, that would be the most annoying.
    Last edited by Transporter; 14-06-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Users Country Flag
    The TSI is a bit heavier on fuel stock on the open road, yes and my son (who mostly drives the Amarok these days and only in stock mode) gets high 8s on the open road. In the city tuned, it is a bit heavier tuned (11-12l/100km compared to the 10-11l/100km stock). Also, remember that a TSI Amarok weighs in at about 1850kgs wet so quite a few 100kgs lighter than the TDIs ....

The TSI Amaroks also have the post tensioner issue engine, so that particular problem does not exist. A fair few TSI Amaroks out there with milage quite a bit in excess of 100,000kms so reliability seems to be good. I'm only on 45,000km after 5 years, but its been tuned since 3,000km so its been working hard .

PS. Incidentally just had the Mustang tuned (finally) and fuel consumption has dropped by about 2l/100km in town (down to mid 16s now ) and even better on the open road. Doing low 8s in a car that weighs 1700kg with 360kw is pretty amazing.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 14-06-2019 at 08:56 AM.

I’d say check your tensioner Sharkie, it’s very easy in longitudinal drivetrains. There were 4 revisions of the same tensioner, how can be one sure that there won’t be the fifth one? The tensioner in my son in law RS Octavia failed @ 140,000km. The chain driven engines timing components should last the life of the engine, which should be at least 250,000km for well designed and built engine. The timing belt would last longer than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast