Support VWWC

Thread: Timing belt tension

Timing belt tension

Hi All,

I recently bought a used 2011 Amarok with engine code CDCA and 145,000km on the clock. After a bit of research I wanted to check that it had the newer lower timing belt cover installed. It didn't so I went about replacing the old one this weekend.

Replacement went well but I did notice that the timing belt, which should have about ~30k km on it if the service record is to be believed, was possibly not at the correct tension. The tensioner indictor arrow is to the left of the marks you use when tensioning a new belt (see below).

My question is, is it supposed to be like that after use or should I be applying some more tension to the belt?

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/R70MZkP

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben774 View Post
    Hi All,

I recently bought a used 2011 Amarok with engine code CDCA and 145,000km on the clock. After a bit of research I wanted to check that it had the newer lower timing belt cover installed. It didn't so I went about replacing the old one this weekend.

Replacement went well but I did notice that the timing belt, which should have about ~30k km on it if the service record is to be believed, was possibly not at the correct tension. The tensioner indictor arrow is to the left of the marks you use when tensioning a new belt (see below).

My question is, is it supposed to be like that after use or should I be applying some more tension to the belt?

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/R70MZkP
    To check it correctly. First you have to align timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft. No harm in adjusting the tension as long as it’s done properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Transporter. So assuming it stays in the same position when at tdc, do we think it needs re-tensioning (if done properly) or is it safe to leave it alone?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Just turn the camshaft to TDC and see what the tensioner is doing. It’s automatic tensioner and can move a bit.

I’d check that when everything is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Just turn the camshaft to TDC and see what the tensioner is doing. It’s automatic tensioner and can move a bit.

I’d check that when everything is off.
    Thanks Transporter,

I did happen to check again last night and the engine had stopped more or less right on bottom dead center. I observed that the tensioner was much closer at this point but still not quite in between the markers. The engine was still slightly warm though, so not sure if this would give me a false reading.

Will try again when its cool and rotate to TDC.