Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    great price! was expecting $1500-$2000 because exhausts are such rip-offs now
    I know ... for a 3"stainless no less ... could not say no at that price lol

I did have to buy 4 x gaskets and 8 x high tensile bolts though ... it came without
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    That is a good price Sharkie and looks like its fits well on the Amarok. Sparesbox quite often have discounts on Xforce products and you can pick them up for cheap. 18 months or so ago I picked up 2x Xforce Varex mufflers and the Smartbox to control the valves - saved nearly $500 all up buying them on sale.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 30-03-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Great work next thing on the list for my sons ute. Iv had it tuned via APR already but it looks like the turbo isn't that healthy so im running it back on the stock tune until i get the turbo rebuilt.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Sharkie, how much research did you end up doing on turbo upgrades for it and what was actually involved in a swap? Theres nothing really out the for the amarok tsi and seeing its age there's not much chance of it happening. You seem to be the only one who looked into this.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Delft Maloo View Post
    Hi Sharkie, how much research did you end up doing on turbo upgrades for it and what was actually involved in a swap? Theres nothing really out the for the amarok tsi and seeing its age there's not much chance of it happening. You seem to be the only one who looked into this.
    Tim
    We did look into this, yes.

The TSI Amarok runs a modified version of the MK6 GTI engine (and similar to the MK6 R). The OEM turbo is actually similar (ie the same) to the 1 found on the Q5 2.0 TFSI in the way the plumbing of the PCV works. Very similar to the MK6 R too. So from a stock perspective the MK6 R turbo will actually fit well.

The problem is .... the cams (mainly the exhaust cam) is different to the GTI (and R) and thus you cannot simply fit the turbo and load the R stg1 tune. This would have resulted in about 230kw instead of the ~195 of the tuned TSI though less torque. Given the unique nature of the TSI, it has a totally custom tune (no other tuner in the world has 1 that is actually built for the TSI Amarok) taking into consideration the unique cam and turbo combination.

So if you upgrade the turbo, you will also need a totally new custom tune to suit the Amarok and since there are so few out there in the world, no tuner is willing to spend the time to develop 1. It took about 100 dyno runs to sort the current Stg1 tune out with APR and even that is not perfect. I believe it has a fuelling issue at low RPM in higher gears and WOT (though you can drive around that).

An option I am considering (and will do at some point in time) is to buy a wrecked MK6 R (TBH I'll probably try a wrecked MK7 R) in a manual to transplant the entire engine and ECU. The MK6R route is practically guaranteed to fit and work. This then allows you to go a full Stg 3 on the engine with many tuners able to help you. 300+kw Amarok? yes please
    Last edited by Sharkie; 09-04-2020 at 08:27 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Hey mate, unable to pm for some reason but would love to chat about your car
    I have a tsi single cab on the way and access to multiple k04’s or even entire byd engines (same as a cdl mk6r essentially)
    Can you contact me if possible ?

It was time for some Amarok love today (by my son for a change). He decided to black out the badges, which looks really good and something I probably should have done a long time ago already. Used plasti-dip to do the job.

Front
    Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-br-badge-1-jpg

Back
    Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-br-badge-4-jpg
    Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-br-badge-2-jpg
    Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-br-badge-3-jpg

And the Amarok
    Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-br-badge-5-jpg

Note to me ... need to get black number plates ...
    Last edited by Sharkie; 11-05-2020 at 01:41 PM.

After years of stock airfilter, then a K&N panel filter for a short while, followed by a K&N pod filter sitting in the the (open) airbox, finally the whole airbox was removed with a pod sitting in the very generous space left by the airbox.

Need to finish it off with a heatshield, but it makes nicer noises now .....
    Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-red-intake-jpg

Also fitted Conti CrossContacts to Big Red recently .... what a let down compared to the Conti SportContacts it replaced. Very noticeably less grip on the road and in the wet.

Users Country Flag

looking good Sharkie, might do the mod too. pity over the tyres. Loving my Pirelli`s

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast