Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Briefly considered a top mount dual exhaust (donated from my Mustang) .... in the end decided not to

Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-thor-std-exhaust-jpg
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Seems my (unique) colour scheme has taken the fancy of someone at VW Aus product planning. Lots of Red Dark Label V6 580s now in the country.

I'll take royalty payments in credits towards 1 of these beauties, thanks VW AUS ...

Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-blackline1-jpg

Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-blackline2-jpg
    Last edited by Sharkie; 05-08-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Gave the Amarok some love this weekend. After 41000km and some silly driving up and down Mt Mee by my 18yr old son, the Amarok was in need of new brakes .... Needless to say this type of driving by him has been banned ....

Fitted these on Saturday, and they do work well. Drilled with little slots and high performance pads (minimal to no dust TG!).

Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-rok-brakes-jpg

Incidentally discovered that the Amarok front brakes are 2 pot calliper units, did not know that and quite impressed.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 05-08-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Gave the Amarok some love this weekend. After 41000km and some silly driving up and down Mt Mee by my 18yr old son, the Amarok was in need of new brakes .... Needless to say this type of driving by him has been banned ....

Fitted these on Saturday, and they do work well. Drilled with little slots and high performance pads (minimal to no dust TG!).

Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-rok-brakes-jpg

Incidentally discovered that the Amarok front brakes are 2 pot calliper units, did not know that and quite impressed.
    What brand are the disc's and pads you're running? Do you have a link? I am due soon I think
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Coxy09 View Post
    What brand are the disc's and pads you're running? Do you have a link? I am due soon I think
    You don't need holes unless you just want "the look" as (most disc rotors) they aren't cast-in (they are a drilled plain face rotor) or stress relieved and if you give them a pounding, spider cracks will start to emanate from the holes.

The slots are good if you have a problem with pad material out-gassing or need to wipe the pad face of glazing but they need to be almost the full width of the rotor.

Personally, I'd just get plain face DBA 4000 series (heavy duty) rotors and talk to Brakes Direct about what pad would suit my usage / driving style.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    You don't need holes unless you just want "the look" as (most disc rotors) they aren't cast-in (they are a drilled plain face rotor) or stress relieved and if you give them a pounding, spider cracks will start to emanate from the holes.

The slots are good if you have a problem with pad material out-gassing or need to wipe the pad face of glazing but they need to be almost the full width of the rotor.

Personally, I'd just get plain face DBA 4000 series (heavy duty) rotors and talk to Brakes Direct about what pad would suit my usage / driving style.
    I like having a good feel set of brakes, I've found most "Heavy Duty" rotors give almost no feedback and not a huge amount of bite, I quite like Tarox which I have on my abarth. Sure the wear rates are quicker, but like my feeling towards tyres, I'd rather have them when I need them......I was never a huge fan of DBA but I'll look into it as I'm only new to having a rok....
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

DBA Slotted will be better than what I have as these are both for looks and better braking than stock.

Drilled discs are about 5% worse than solids. Drilled and slotted about the same as stock, but slotted only such a DBA T3 is at least 5% better than solids on stock type pads.

By fitting higher performance pads you improve braking across the board by 5-10% at least (and could be even more depending on the pad you select).

In my case I'm probably only 5% better than stock given the slotted and drilled discs AND high performance pads. Bonus is low to no dust which is a MAJOR improvement over stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    DBA Slotted will be better than what I have as these are both for looks and better braking than stock.

Drilled discs are about 5% worse than solids. Drilled and slotted about the same as stock, but slotted only such a DBA T3 is at least 5% better than solids on stock type pads.

By fitting higher performance pads you improve braking across the board by 5-10% at least (and could be even more depending on the pad you select).

In my case I'm probably only 5% better than stock given the slotted and drilled discs AND high performance pads. Bonus is low to no dust which is a MAJOR improvement over stock.
    Dust isn't an issue if you coat those wheels We need to have a chat about that =P
    Coxy

So after resisting the urge to fit an exhaust to the Amarok (and mainly due to the fact nobody had an exhaust for the TSI Amaroks) my son finally convinced me last week.

We parked next to a mates TDI400 and compared the exhaust from underneath. Looked pretty much identical, so took a chance on an XFORCE DPF back stainless 3" for a TDI400. I figured since the bends all looked the same, I'd at worst have to make 1 cut and join near the front.

The XFORCE looks good, I have seen better but certainly seen worse too.
    Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-exhaust-1-jpg

Turns out it is actually a perfect fit all the way through. Even the join at the front to the catback is EXACTLY the same as the DPF back diesel join.
    Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-exhaust-3-jpg

Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-exhaust-2-jpg

Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build-exhaust-4a-jpg

It now has an awesome sound to the exhaust, meaty and growly .... with a pop on overrun. I should have done this ages ago!

SO ... for the few TSI Amarok owners out there ... an exhaust upgrade is do-able and cheap ($570 from Sparesbox delivered).
    Last edited by Sharkie; 30-03-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Users Country Flag

great price! was expecting $1500-$2000 because exhausts are such rip-offs now
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast