Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plug'n'PlayTrailer controller Canbus won't Plug'n'Play

Users Country Flag

Plug'n'PlayTrailer controller Canbus won't Plug'n'Play

Bought a Plug'n'Play trailer kit for an M21 online advertised to suit 2010 onwards. Only problem was, it won't Plug.
    Well, in all fairness, half of it does. Everything went smoothly (towbar, trailer harness) until it came to connecting the controller. A Jaegar CANbus Controller.
    The cable interface between the controller unit and the car is not compatible with the car. An educated guess is that some changes have been made to the wiring on the car in the last 12 years.
    Anyone got any ideas on where to contact installers located in Sydney who deal with the Jaeger units? All I need are the wires that connect the controller to the car.
    Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 11-08-2022 at 07:26 PM.

Users Country Flag
    What plugs or connectors don't fit? It might be just a case of getting a different connector.

A few pictures would help with diagnosing the issue.

Usually, a trailer controller just needs power, ground, BCM and a CAN bus tap for somewhere.

Also, have you tried emailing Jaegar?
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    What plugs or connectors don't fit? It might be just a case of getting a different connector.

A few pictures would help with diagnosing the issue.

Usually, a trailer controller just needs power, ground, BCM and a CAN bus tap for somewhere.

Also, have you tried emailing Jaegar?
    Thanks for responding so promptly to my enquiry.
    And yes, it's just a case of getting the right connector (Jaegar refer to everything at item level as a kit - you just need the right kit number to get what you want).
    In repsonse to your question, yes, sent a webform off to Jaegar HQ. They redirected my enquiries to NZ (Asia - Pacific HQ. Can't believe we don't have an ozzy agent)
    The NZ office have already responded but they seem to be taking the line that the issue is the seller's responsibility.
    My usual towbar guy suggested I just hardwire the controller module into the wiring loom somewhere but that sort of defeats the purpose of buying something that was advertised as Plug and Play.
    I'm the new kid on the block here, but I'll massage the photos that I took in to a smaller, lower res format so that they hopefully fit on the page.
    Bear with me. In the meantime, the plug/socket arrangement is one larger plug and one smaller one. If you look on the 'net, you'll see this arrangement on every installation kit.
    It looks as though VW have changed the wiring loom in '21.
    Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 11-08-2022 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added

Attachment 54441

Attachment 54442

Attachment 54443

There we go!
    The adapter sockets are black, the colored plugs are the wiring loom.
    Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 08-08-2022 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks for the tip MIG.
    Sent the regional office a copy of the pic's.
    Hopefully they've got an adapter to suit.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Newkidontheblok View Post
    Attachment 54441

Attachment 54442

Attachment 54443

There we go!
    The adapter sockets are black, the colored plugs are the wiring loom.
    Go to bottom of post and click on advanced and do the pics from there Yours dont work
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Hi I’m in the same situation can you let me know how you go please?

OK everyone.
    Good news. As abysmal as the pictogram type installation manual is, the online support from the regional office is off the charts. But in the opposite direction!
    Been chatting to some chap named Stuart who has been responding to my crazy arse emails at 9:30 at night (NZ time). Top bloke. Sent me photos too which is a far cry from the black and white pictograms that came with the product. And a lot more helpful.
    Apparently the plugs that I've been tugging on are for something else, perhaps future development, whatever, but the plugs required for the install are up under the dash, probably to the left of the steering column, and one is red and the other, hmmm, can't remember after a couple of glasses of port. But appently it's there. I do recall seeing either an anaconda or a few turns of wire in that area but was apprehensive about pulling the wiring loom out of a vehicle that hasn't had it's first service yet. The phone call would go like this; "Excuse me, yes I'd like to book my car in for it's first service. Can you collect? It won't start because I pulled the wiring out of the dash..."
    The plugs I've been tugging on were attached to wiring loom above accelerator pedal.
    So, the plugs for the connector, (yep, plugs as in two of them) appear to be on a length of wiring that is coiled around up and under the dash, probably left of the steering column. Apparently they are wrapped up in some sort of plastic bag.
    It seems you have to be a bit aggressive in getting the cable to co-operate. If anyone has seen the YouTube video on someone doing an install of the controller module on a VW Golf where the chap has to put his phone down and tug with both hands to release it, well, they'll know what I mean.
    I get home after dark so won't be attempting this until the weekend but I'm optimistic. After all, the rest of the kit was a dream installation. A far cry from days gone by when you had to apply the oxy to a shop bought towbar to bend it to fit and solder connect wires for a weatherproof connection. Hopefully, the Canbus interface will just snap together, the same as the supplied wiring harness did at the rear.
    Thanks again to Stuart from Jaegar Asia/Pacific HQ. Couldn't have done it without his continued support and assistance.

Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 09-08-2022 at 10:15 PM.

Users Country Flag

Pics

Can you email me the pics you received please? ngoldsbrough@icloud.com

Attachment 54477

Attachment 54478

According to the supplier, you need to pull and/or cut away at the tape around the wiring loom to the left of the steering column (RHD vehicles. Left hand drive would probably be mirror reverse) The plugs are one red and one black.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast