Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OBD2, scan tools for Amarok

Users Country Flag

A good affordable tool is Carista. You can scan faults/check engine lights and clear them, and with pretty much all VW/Audi vehicles you can tweak certain settings about how the car behaves.

I have the Carista and although it is limited compared to VCDS/RossTech, it is only about 20% of the price. The price of the VCDS is simply ludicrous.

It works on both iPhone and Android. I use it with iPhone 6 on my Audi SQ5 and have been happy with what it can do. Just bear in mind that although the initial purchase price is cheap, after the 30 day period is up, its a subscription service to keep using all of the functions (approx $50 per 12 months, although you can buy 1 week and 1 month timeframes also).

Carista OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Customiser for Android and iOS – AutoInstruct

Otherwise, the OBDeleven is more powerful (probably 70% of what VCDS/RossTech can do).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

An OBDII from ebay cost about $15. Then get the Torque and VAGDPF apps and you can do loads with your vehicle.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by frednerkenstein View Post
    An OBDII from ebay cost about $15. Then get the Torque and VAGDPF apps and you can do loads with your vehicle.
    But no where near as much as a real OBDeleven Trust the the threads Ebay cheapies have proved to be not very good at all

Dont think all havent been tried and binned
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by frednerkenstein View Post
    The Torque and VAGDPF are just the readers. You can’t do anything with them, just to monitor and at the best they reset some faults, mainly only in the engine ECU. You won’t be even able to reset the service reminder with them.

Though, if you’d be getting cheap one only, don’t go for the cheapest one. The ELM327 for less than $20 doesn’t have to work reliably.

Users Country Flag
    Hi, what version of vcds is compatible with an 2019 - 2020 amarok? I´m looking for one but I´m not sure about the version I shoud buy. Kind regards.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodr1111 View Post
    Hi, what version of vcds is compatible with an 2019 - 2020 amarok? I´m looking for one but I´m not sure about the version I shoud buy. Kind regards.
    Get the latest one. Since the older ones want work on all modules in yours.

Users Country Flag
    Hmmm. Affordable. Like $45?
    I bought a cable connect OBD reader from ebay that does diesel, European, Asian, Japanese, American, Asian & Diesel (yep, does Hyundai diesels) and you're entitled to as many updates as you like.
    The only thing it struggled with was a Mercedes Sprinter, but I hadn't upgraded the software for a while but I'm told that Mercedes are slow to release the OBD profiles. We had trouble with the Adblue sensor and couldn't disable it.
    Autolink AL319
    Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 09-08-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Users Country Flag

What? Like $45 affordable?
    Try the cable connect Autolink 319. Scan and clear codes. Fits in ya pocket. Update profiles from your laptop.
    Note: When you do the updates, you run the update software on your laptop first, THEN plug the Autolink into the USB. The way they programmed the software is to poll the USB ports after you start the update program. If you plug the Autolink in first, the software updater does not look for it. Comes back with "hardware not found" type message.
    Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 09-08-2022 at 10:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12