Thread: New to me Amarok strange issues.

Users Country Flag

New to me Amarok strange issues.

I had a 2011 Highline that I did 400,000kms in and it was great, I have just picked up a 2016 with low Km's and it has some very strange issues. It is a 420HL 2WD again but this time it has the 8 speed auto.

When stopping at lights after 3 seconds the transmission makes a large jolt. The dealer said it is the fuel in the tank moving round but it is definitely not that and I proved it by pulling up to the lights in neutral and also with a low fuel tank.

The next issue is sometimes when leaving the lights, it will apply the brakes like the downhill assist almost throwing you through the window.

The last issue is the wipers on intermittent go at random times, really fast patches then not at all and then back to normal for a tiny bit and then full speed again.

I didn't have any issues with the last amarok except for belts and tyres. It's with the dealer now but just wondering if these are common issues and if the dealer will blow them off as normal.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have an update from the dealer, turns out this ute does have rain sensors, I had no idea but they're useless, the bmw and Japanese versions are so much better.

They said the transmission is decoupling to save fuel. What a crap feature, I wonder if this can be coded out? I would much rather pay for the miniscule amount of fuel it saves.

The auto braking they couldn't reproduce the fault and there is no fault codes. I'm still concerned about this but will monitor for now I guess.

Rain sensor seems to work well on mine in auto. However it only sample a very small section of windscreen in front of the mirror about 20mm square, if you have something oily smeared across that section it confuses the sensor. If you alter the intermittent speed switch above the wiper switch, it will use your speed settings until next start.
    Your auto will not go into 1st gear until you have completely stopped for 3-4 seconds, that is the clunk you hear. 1st gear in the auto transmission is to low for town driving, so the transmission doesn’t select it unless you are stationary. It’s predominantly for pulling away heavily loaded or low speed 4wdriving in the 4x4 model.
    Thanks Lloyd

Sent from me New to me Amarok strange issues.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Great response, thanks Lloyd

First time mine did the clunk I thought someone had tapped me from behind.
    Now it is just normal.