Thread: It looked easy on You Tube....Amarok bonnet struts

Users Country Flag

It looked easy on You Tube....Amarok bonnet struts M21 V6 Trendline

Bought a set of gas lift bonnet struts for ~$75 online. But that included brackets.
    Only thing you don't get in the kit that you would want are replacement bolts. Hammer bolts don't look too flash after you've removed them. Especially when the vehicle was spray painted after they were fitted. And you need to remove four spray painted hammer fit bolts to fit the lower strut mounts.
    Slight problem. They don't fit. They didn't show that bit on the You Tube video!!
    The brackets that are mounted on the guards have the wrong spacing in the holes. On the upside, the brackets are over length so it's just a matter of re-drilling.
    I'm waiting on the M8 stainless socket caps to arrive before I start the install but I'll post a few pics of the mod in a 'how to' theme when they do as this is a mod that everyone needs. Really. A bonnet prop?
    FYI. Bought the bonnet struts from Ali'Expess (or something like that). Could've been AliKat. The quality of the hardware actually looks pretty good. I'll guess we'll see when it bolts together. After all, "the proof is in the pudding".

Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 25-09-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    OK.
    Got around to starting this project.
    First mod was redrilling the longitudinal brackets that run along the guards. Holes were in the wrong places. Got that sorted. Those hammer bolts I was so concerned about turned out to be just taper screws into nyloc. My only concern is there is that once you fit the mounting bracket for the strut, you may need longer screws. I just ran with the old ones as I don't have anything in the way of 6 point taper screws in my nut and bolts bucket. Just don't overtighten them. They screw into nylocs.
    Next issue is a collision between the bonnet bracket and the plastic apron that runs along the bottom of the windscreen when you lower the bonnet. Looks like some surgery is required to trim the supplied bracket. Welder & grinder job.
    I've been doing a photo journal and keeping measurements so when I've got it all sorted, I'll post it as fait accomplit if it all comes together.
    The struts themselves seem to be able to run up the side of the guards but won't know for sure until all the other dependcies of the installation are resolved. One step at a time....
    But for now, hold off on buying the bonnet strut kits that fit earlier models. They don't fit my M21 Trendline and I suspect they won't fit anything else that's current. Unless of course you're some sort of masochist who likes spending late nights in the garage fabricating stuff to make it do what it was advertised to.
    Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 25-09-2022 at 08:47 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I love a goof DIY job. I look forward to seeing the photos when it's done

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door....

[QUOTE=The_Hawk;1340122]I love a goof DIY job. I look forward to seeing the photos when it's done [/QUOTE]

Thanks 'Hawkeye'.
    Being a new Kid on the Block, you know that I photo document everything so that everyone else can share my mistakes.
    I've got that project parked on the workbench at the moment. It seems like a simple angle cut of the supplied bracket and a bit of welding will rectify the incompatability issues.
    Got another issue at the moment. Looking at fitting some cross rails and bars to my Oz Canopy. But I'm a bit of a scaredy kat at taking on this project as the fibreglass canopy is lined. Don't want to go drilling into the 'glass if it's going to look like a dog's breakfast on the inside as it's such a neat job as far as canopies go. And I'm not sure now if I'm going to need them. Looking to fit a 3m (yep, the long one) Kings/Dune type awning to the roof racks and was going to fit the rear mount to the canopy rails. Maybe they're not required. The standard roof racks are load rated to 35 kgs. Maybe I can get away with pulling the quick release mounts that I bought at the 4WD show in a bit closer to centre and leave it at that. Guess I'll find out when the wind picks up on Seven Mile Beach....
    BTW. Someone borrowed my ute this week and commented on how neat the aftermarket 'slow down/ezi up" tailgate assist was in relation to the govt issued work vehicle they use which doesn't have it and hits them in the chest every time they release the tailgate. Cost me $45 on ebay. I think they are about $48 now. Baaaaargain!
    Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 08-10-2022 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo

Last edited by Newkidontheblok; 19-10-2022 at 07:06 PM.