Support VWWC

Thread: Hey All - Help Needed

Hey All - Help Needed

Hey guys,

It's been a Looooong time since I posted here, I am glad to see most people I once knew are still lurking and there are so many new faces!

I am in search for some information, I am looking at moving out of my hot hatches (Currently an Abarth 500) and into an Amarok 2.0 TDI in a manual. The reason I say the 2.0 instead of the v6 is due to rego and the V6 doesn't come in manual.... My current plan is to get a decent Rok and possibly chip tune it to get that little bit of extra grunt out of it (If I think it needs it, still not sure about that)....

I have found a few decent ones for sale, I seem to like the Ultimate, however I cannot stand leather seats (as I'm a tradie, there is nothing worse than getting into a work ute all stinking and sweating and sitting on leather....does my head in! so I may be going down the highline path...unless I can find some seats to swap into the ultimate

So, this brings me to my question, what do you all think of the Amarok, what are the faults/common problems with them....I am after actual peoples opinions/interactions with them rather than the review you get from youtube saying "They're faultless in every way..."

As for my use of it, it's only going to be light trade work around the place, a camping vehicle and something to tow the dirt bike around too...in the next few years, something to put the kidletts in to tow them around to that sorta jazz....
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

Users Country Flag
    EGR can be a problem to look out for.
    Alternator and belt tensioner bearings can fail after if driven in constant dusty conditions
    Air con pully can fail - cheap after market options are available

Install a catch can
    Install a high performance air intake pipe to the air filter box

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony777 View Post
    EGR can be a problem to look out for.
    Alternator and belt tensioner bearings can fail after if driven in constant dusty conditions
    Air con pully can fail - cheap after market options are available

Install a catch can
    Install a high performance air intake pipe to the air filter box

Nice one, thanks for that Anthony,

I have searched through the forum but as per usual, there seems to be a lot of "One off's" which is not what I'm asking, you've answered the question though so thanks for that....

I see that people talk about EGR's, timing belt covers also causing issues on the older models....Might be something to look at too
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

Users Country Flag
    Timing belt covers had a problem up until 2013 models and were replaced under a VW recall. So, as far as I know, should not be a problem.
    If you car is under warranty EGR is obviously replaced free from VW. If the car is out of warranty, it will cost approximately $1600 for VW to replace, or $1000 to have it removed with a tune.

Users Country Flag
    Pretty sure the V6 in lower spec models now comes in a manual.

I do think the 8spd Auto is better than the manual though .... and I have a manual 2.0TSI Amarok making over 200kw .... the auto would be quicker and smoother. The manual box is a bit "commercial" and has nowhere near the smoothness of a Golf manual for instance (or even a 580NM Mustang manual box).

Also, BTW, if you like driving hot hatches, the 2.0TDI will frustrate you endlessly .... it is slow, even with a tune and even the heavily tuned Stg 3 2.0TDIs struggle to keep up with luke warm hatches, never mind hot hatches. The V6 on the other hand will scare most hot hatches with only a tune (it is even quick in stock form).
    Last edited by Sharkie; 07-01-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Hey guys,

Sorry I never replied, for some reason the notifications never came through and I got caught up with other stuff.

Sharkie, I've sent you a PM, Might be considering a TSI if everything lines up...
    Coxy

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony777 View Post
    Timing belt covers had a problem up until 2013 models and were replaced under a VW recall. So, as far as I know, should not be a problem.
    If you car is under warranty EGR is obviously replaced free from VW. If the car is out of warranty, it will cost approximately $1600 for VW to replace, or $1000 to have it removed with a tune.
    Hi Anthony,

Thanks for that, I see the EGR and DPF seem to be a pain in the bottom with these things. I think it's going to be one of the first things I do if I do stick with the Diesel.

The house has only just sold (Ergh, 6 months of waiting was painful!!!) so hopefully some action soon
    Coxy