Support VWWC

Thread: Cruise control issue

Cruise control issue

Hi all,

My 2017 V6 Amarok has developed a really strange issue. Lats week, I got stopped by some roadworks, and with my foot on the brake, the engine stop-start kicked in, just as it should do. The hold-up went on for much longer than expected (probably about 10 minutes), and during this time the engine didn't start. When traffic started moving, I lifted my foot off the brake, but the engine didn't start. I turned off the ignition, then tried to restart. The engine seemed to turn over slowly but didn't start. Lights on the dash dimmed, so there was a current draw somewhere. I tried a few more times, and again, no start, I finished up having to push the car off the road.

I left it about 10 min, then the engine started, and I was on my way again.

Since this happened, the cruise control has been problematic. If I engage it at say 90km, the car will slow to 84-85km, then the speed will slowly climb back to 90 over about 30-40 seconds, and then climb to around 93-94, before slowly falling back to 90. If I engage the cruise control at 90, and hold the speed there with the throttle for a length of time, then pull my foot off the accelerator, the speed will again slowly drop to 84, before climbing again

This has only happened since the incident at the roadworks.

As I have 87,000km on the clock, I have booked it in for a service and to get VW to take a look at both the stop-start system and the cruise control, but cannot get it into the workshop for another week or so.

I am just curious to see if anyone else has had anything similar, and is this something VW will look into, as this all happened 2 weeks after the vehicle came off warranty

Users Country Flag
    Battery is on way out and VW are famous for throwing faults with low battery voltage.

Get it checked before you spend any money on it and get it hooked to a laptop and see what faults it has thrown
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thanks for that: I will get the battery checked, and take it from there.

Users Country Flag
    Get it read for fault codes as well at your service
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Definitely will do, cheers for that.

Update

The Amarok was in for servicing today and to get the cruise control checked out. The battery was OK and well off the point of needing replacing. There were no faults logged re the stop-start.

The fault logs however confirmed "faults in system for cruise operation". The logged faults relate to a software deviation which is known to Volkswagen who are currently working on a software upgrade. This is not available at the moment, but the dealer who did the service and diagnostics said they would be in touch when the revised software has been rolled out.

The dealer cleared the logged faults and the cruise control is working normally again. The dealer did say the issue may come back, but once the upgrade is available from VW, that should correct it permanently

I posted this just in case anyone else experiences issues with their cruse control