Illegal in all states of Australia
    what is?

Users Country Flag
    I am looking at the following alloy rims

16” x 7"
    PCD: 5 x 120
    Offset: +45mm

I am keen to put on 265/75/R16s

Has anyone tried rims / tyres around this offset and width. Keen to ensure there is no scrubbing at full up travel and stearing lock. FYI, no lift yet.

Users Country Flag
    I've got a mate that has just put Kelly Safari TSR 265/75/16 on his Amarok. With 16x 7in Allied Wasp wheels.

They dont rub but he's got a tray on the back that is pretty high and he has put king springs in the front which has lifted it
    MY13 Golf R - Rising Blue ** SOLD** New toy wanted
    MY12 Passat 125TDi Wagon - Reflex Silver (The family wagon)
    MY14 Amarok Trendline TDi400 - Sand Beige (weekend off roader)

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys,

Just about to finalise order on Highline hoping to be ready next week and looking at some AT tyres to fit the existing 7.5" Durban rims it comes with.

Have narrowed it down to two tyres,

BGF AT KO in a 265/65/18 for diameter of 801mm or
    Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60/18 for diameter of 799mm.

Anyone see any issues with fitting the 285mm wide Nitto to the 7.5" durban rim?
    Is it likely to bulge out too much on the rim or stick out past the guards bearing in mind the Scorpion Verde it comes fitted from VW with is a 255/60/18 so I guess it should stick out a further (30mm/2) 15mm than the factory tyre?

I have read good reports on the Nitto but wondering If I should just go with the proven BFG for an extra $85 per tyre?

After reading all posts in here I'm comfortable that neither should touch or rub anywhere.

Cheers

Users Country Flag

Cool

Hi all,

...285 will most likely rub on the upper suspension arm - 265 JUST about clears it ....at R18-265/65 (/70 might already be too much) on the original R18 rims....

I have a curious problem:

It seems I cannot get the tire/rim combination (OEM-18 wheels) balanced....

OEM-R18 rims - BF-Goodrich AT R18-265/65 tires

So far I went to 4 different shops:

Changed the tires and did a complete alignment job (was within spec to start with...). Furthermore the tech and the tire-shop agreed to play:
    WE checked each rim only for unbalance and noted the result on the rim. After the first run with the tire on, we would move the tire to cancel the imbalance of the rim and reduce the needed amount of balance weights - this seemed to work fine.
    Then we ran into trouble with properly balancing the wheels! No matter which program the tech used, the amounts of weight were going way out of hand! Finally we resolved to use the simplest method.
    By chance after balancing one wheel to 0.00, we took it off the machine, put it back on the balancer and ...got an out of balance reading again!! NOW this is where I got sceptical!
    I was sure the machine was defective....
    A simple thing like a wheel, without any moving parts should be rather simple to balance!
    [In my job I frequently have to track & balance helicopter rotor systems - talk about a little more complex systems!]

Maybe I complety miss something here.....

After this I went to 2 more shops with supposedly new balancers (all the same brand ... COATS), but the story is/was the same! - Remove old weights, balance to 0.00, same whobble starting at 100km/h. Removed tires to see if something was inside - nothing...

Just came back from the 4th shop now, with the newest and most sofisticated mschine I ever saw - a COATS (like the others but really the top model) - the tech couldn't believe it either - 0.00, take the wheel off and put it back on and we get a imbalance again!! (...and not small 0.something numbers, but from 1.50-2.00). Just did the front wheels to see the results - both wheels run beautifully round, no whobble side/side, no jump on the tire.... - on the Rok and now I get the whobble in the steering at 85km/h!!

I am out of ideas - and this whole thing is spooky to me!!
    Unless there is something about these balance machines I don't know....

I installed a OME front (HD for bumper and winch) and a HD rear with one leaf removed.
    With this setup I ran the original tires for some 10000km (looked ugly, but I was not about to throw away the OE-tires because of looks....)
    The OE-tires/wheels ran perfect with the lift kit.

So - the questions are:

1. WTF is going on with my wheels?

2. Is there anything about tire balancers I don't know?
    [In my world - IF a wheel is balanced to 0.00 - it should not matter if you take it of the balancer and put it back on or on a different balancer - if it is balanced 0.00 - it is balanced! and is balanced! and is balanced!!! It should indicate 0.00 again and repeatetly, shouldn't it??]

3. What to do next? Alignment is good, tire pressure is good? Change alignment numbers??

Anyone of you guys are a tire/rim/wheel guru??

Love the traction, stance, looks, but whobbling now starting at 85 km/h is NOT what I want to have to live with!!
    [VW dealer doesn't comment as it is NOT their tires and NOT the original size]

Cheers all,

thjakits

I'm searching for some wheels and tires for my new Dual cab Auto, has anyone seen any other designs or brands that do an 18x9 +20 (same size as Delta do) but in any other design than Delta? I'd love a US style simple five spoke wheel but damn it's hard to find something that's weight rated enough. Anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by thjakits View Post
    Hi all,

...285 will most likely rub on the upper suspension arm - 265 JUST about clears it ....at R18-265/65 (/70 might already be too much) on the original R18 rims....

I have a curious problem:

[COLOR=#333333]It seems I cannot get the tire/rim combination (OEM-18 wheels) balanced....

Cheers all,

thjakits
    I've had BMW wheels have vibration and balancing issues but mainly due to the centre bore being bigger and not centring the wheel carefully enough when tightening the wheel nuts / balancer attachment, it sounds like your issue is much more complex but may not hurt to check whether one of the wheel aligners is centring the wheel properly on the balancer, as that would cause a different balance reading straight up i'd imagine.

Users Country Flag
    I'm running BMW X5 5 spoke 18x8.5 wheels with 255/60/18s load rating acceptable for the Amarok. Simple style yet looks good in black. Have a look at my build thread. And below. Was very careful when I fitted them and no vibration up to licence threatening speeds (on a private track ofcourse)

Amarok Wheels and Tyres-br-aug14-jpg
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Did you have to fit a hub centric collar when you fitted the BMW rims Sharkie?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast