Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amarok wheels & tyres

Users Country Flag

Amarok wheels & tyres

265/75/17's. Seem to be pretty popular on Colorados, MUX's and Rangers these days. Has anyone had any success in fitting these on an Amarok?
    Looks like a cheap lift kit at ~45mm for a tyre change. 270/70/17's are usually the limit.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Newkidontheblok View Post
    265/75/17's. Seem to be pretty popular on Colorados, MUX's and Rangers these days. Has anyone had any success in fitting these on an Amarok?
    Looks like a cheap lift kit at ~45mm for a tyre change. 270/70/17's are usually the limit.
    That size would be illegal in all states on an Amarok. It will increase the wheel's circumference by almost 20cm and throw your speedo out by 10km/h.

The Amarok will also feel a lot more sluggish.

Amarok wheels & tyres-tire-sizes-2-jpg
    Last edited by Sharkie; 27-10-2021 at 01:27 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for your input.
    I'll take it that as a "no, I haven't done it".
    By the way, better get another online tyre calculator. The difference is from 29" diameter to 32.6". That's not 20cm.

Users Country Flag
    Perhaps some could go back to school There are 10mm in a cm

20cm is about 8 INCHES .

To get a speedo that is 7km over at 100kph takes a tyre with a diameter approx 45mm larger to bring it correct and that is illegal.

Was going to do it on a POLO but not worthwhile as well as illegal would make it unable to pull skin off a rice pudding from over gearing
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 22-10-2021 at 08:11 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Perhaps some people should actually do some research when trying to help others ....

Still this is what the calculator says, do with it what you will.

Last time I checked 2604mm - 2357mm = 247mm = 24.7cm
    Last edited by Sharkie; 22-10-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Perhaps some people should actually do some research when trying to help others ....

Still this is what the calculator says, do with it what you will.

Last time I checked 2604mm - 2357mm = 247mm = 24.7cm
    What are you on. We are talking about DIAMETER which in your pics is SEVENTY NINE MILLIMETRES larger and therefore illegal

You are giving CIRCUMFERENCE which is not mentioned in the rules on tyre sizes and therefore irrelevant to the discussion, even though by increasing diameter the circumference will of course increase as well.

Diameter width across tyre (from ground to top) As mentioned in statutes and ADR rules. As in fig 1 & 2 above

Circumference Distance around the outside of the tread. Not mentioned in the above rules AFAIK
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 22-10-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    What are you on. We are talking about DIAMETER which in your pics is SEVENTY NINE MILLIMETRES larger and therefore illegal

You are giving CIRCUMFERENCE which is not mentioned in the rules on tyre sizes and therefore irrelevant to the discussion, even though by increasing diameter the circumference will of course increase as well.

Diameter width across tyre (from ground to top) As mentioned in statutes and ADR rules. As in fig 1 & 2 above

Circumference Distance around the outside of the tread. Not mentioned in the above rules AFAIK
    Absolutely useless comment again, thanks Hillbilly. Not hiding the diameter, its there clear to see if you bothered to look. Did not think I had to state the obvious .... A 10% increase in diameter is still obviously illegal ...

Circumference is key in determining the speed differences which is why I highlighted those as I CBF personally in increased lift thanks to the increased diameter, what I do care about is how it affects the driveability and the speed indicated.

Users Country Flag
    Absolutely useless comment again, thanks Hillbilly. Not hiding the diameter, its there clear to see if you bothered to look. Did not think I had to state the obvious .... A 10% increase in diameter is still obviously illegal ...

Circumference is key in determining the speed differences which is why I highlighted those as I CBF personally in increased lift thanks to the increased diameter, what I do care about is how it affects the driveability and the speed indicated.
    No need for that in the light of what you said earlier which is OBVIOUSLY incorrect

"It will increase the wheel's diameter by almost 20cm" Which is absolute rubbish 8 inches spare me

I dont disagree that one causes the other and both do what you say but you stated a completely false reply.
    Maybe confused the two as the OP was referring to diameters with his 45mm increase. Who knows what you were thinking

He also is thinking he gets a 45mm lift when he says "Looks like a cheap lift kit at ~45mm for a tyre change." Only gets a 22.5mm height increase.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 22-10-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    No need for that in the light of what you said earlier which is OBVIOUSLY incorrect

"It will increase the wheel's diameter by almost 20cm" Which is absolute rubbish 8 inches spare me

I dont disagree that one causes the other and both do what you say but you stated a completely false reply.
    Maybe confused the two as the OP was referring to diameters with his 45mm increase. Who knows what you were thinking
    Happy to confirm I meant circumference from the start, although my fingers typed something else by accident ... ***** happens. Thanks for pointing it out.

Users Country Flag

Happy to confirm I meant circumference from the start, although my fingers typed something else by accident ... ***** happens. Thanks for pointing it out.
    If you fix your original post, I’d like to clean up your conversation with Hillbilly, so others don’t have to waste 5 or more minutes of their lives reading it. If it’s ok with both of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast