Support VWWC

Thread: Amarok V6 tow question

Users Country Flag

Amarok V6 tow question

Hi All,

New to this forum but long time VW owner. Have a MK6 GTI and Amarok 2017 V6 Highline. Previously had a Touareg 150.

Recently brought the Amarok to tow a van. Have been towing with the Touareg for years, just put too many kms on it to keep it, great car.

New setup tows great bar one issue. Started to heat up a bit going up a mountain with the van on the back. Got up to maybe 105-110. Didn't have to resort to blasting the heater with windows open but hoping this will not be a regular thing.

For the record, never had an issue with the Touareg, same van, same mountain.

The Amarok has a nudge bar which sits just above the bumper, so in front of some of the air inlet to the radiator, and also has a slim led bar mounted on top of that. Nothing restricting airflow below the bumper.

Only warmed up, going up the hill, but was going up then down when thermostat would open, but the concern was each time it went up it would creep up a little further, then only drop about 5 degrees. As soon as I picked up a bit of speed again at the top it went back to 90. If the mountain was longer I would have had to do the heater. Was about 30 degrees outside.

Two questions.
    1. Should I be thinking about ditching the nudge bar and mounting the LED bar on the roof racks?
    2. It is booked to get a tune next week, will this make it better or worse???

Thanks for reading.

Users Country Flag
    Hi, This is a common question on 4X4 and caravan forums and occurs across many vehicle types. One person said the problem only occurred when he fitted a light bar in front of the radiator; while others have solved the problem with water pump and thermostat replacement. There is also doubt about the gauge reliability and that gauges often seem to move in 10 degree segments rather than more sensitive readings. Fitting a transmission cooler would also take the load off the engine radiator, As to tuning the vehicle always remember " for each action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Whether that is more emissions or more heat or both, I don't know. maybe the tuner guys can answer that. Cheers -John

Users Country Flag
    The boiling point of coolant under normal radiator pressures is 125c to 135c depending on the pressure rating and coolant percentage. 105-110 is way under this.

A tune shouldn't affect it unless you are using more throttle going up the hill (ie: accelerating more). If you are still doing 100kph then you will be burning the same amount of fuel unless VW's original tune is set very lean (which will run hot). Talk to your tuner.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Had the same in my 100Ser TDI Landcruiser.. 3T van and going up the Willunga hill on a hot day it got pretty hot Was down into 2nd to keep it sensible. Only other place was on way to Canberra from Batemans Bay and on the big hill it warmed up a bit.

Never had any trouble for rest of 50,000km 2 year trip. So I wouldnt get too worried if I was you.. What weight is the van fully loaded and honestly
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan