Thread: Amarok tub powering a 12v 18amp water pump in tub?

Amarok tub powering a 12v 18amp water pump in tub?

I want to connect up a 12v water pump for a farm spray unit. A temporary connection would be ideal as I will only be using it occasionally.

Can someone tell me how many amps I can draw though the 12v outlet in the tub? The pump spec says it draws a max of 18amp . I am guessing this is more than the inbuilt outlets can handle?

Alternatively the unit came with a 5m long harness that will reach all the way from pump in tub to battery and is fitted with two large alligator clips (like on jumper leads). Apart from not being fused, is there going to be any problem simply connecting the + to post on the battery and the - to the chassis? An obvious issue is fitting the alligator clip to the + post with the bonnet closed. Have to remove the protective cover to allow it to fit and maybe make a temp insulator to prevent clip inadvertently touching bonnet.. tia.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Users Country Flag
    Hi logger and you are spot on the money, the socket in the tub is pretty well flat out supplying a continuous current draw much over 5 amps.

There are for two reasons for this. The wiring is VERY thin and most cigarette socket plugs tend to melt if there is a continuous current draw much greater than 5 amps.

Just a suggestion. First determine the thickness of the cable supplied with your pump.

You need to know this so you can select the correct safe size fuse.

Once you know both the cable size and the safest fuse to use with it, cut the clips off the cable and fit an In-Line fuse holder to the positive ( + ) pump cable and then fit eye terminals to the ends of both cables and bolt them in place.

At the other end, fit a set of 50 amp Anderson plugs and you will now have the setup you need when spraying but you can also easily remove the pump when it is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    I want to connect up a 12v water pump for a farm spray unit. A temporary connection would be ideal as I will only be using it occasionally.

Can someone tell me how many amps I can draw though the 12v outlet in the tub? The pump spec says it draws a max of 18amp . I am guessing this is more than the inbuilt outlets can handle?

Alternatively the unit came with a 5m long harness that will reach all the way from pump in tub to battery and is fitted with two large alligator clips (like on jumper leads). Apart from not being fused, is there going to be any problem simply connecting the + to post on the battery and the - to the chassis? An obvious issue is fitting the alligator clip to the + post with the bonnet closed. Have to remove the protective cover to allow it to fit and maybe make a temp insulator to prevent clip inadvertently touching bonnet.. tia.
    120w is the rated capacity which is only 10A.

I would suggest getting a twin core 8B&S cable, terminating directly to the battery for + and -, install a 20A fuse as close as possible to the battery on the + and then terminate in the tray to whatever connector suits your needs.

Run the cable down the passenger side rail ensuring it’s always on the side or the top of it and secure often with cable ties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by doinitsideways View Post
    120w is the rated capacity which is only 10A.

I would suggest getting a twin core 8B&S cable, terminating directly to the battery for + and -, install a 20A fuse as close as possible to the battery on the + and then terminate in the tray to whatever connector suits your needs.

Run the cable down the passenger side rail ensuring it’s always on the side or the top of it and secure often with cable ties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    +1 for that Exactly what I did on a Landcruiser. Just keep termination in the tub up under the top where it wont get wet
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thank you for all the info and the excellent suggestions. Didn't waste attempting to use the 12v outlet in the tub. I may eventually set it up with Anderson plugs and an appropriate fuse.

My short term goal (apart from being able to spray the farm) is to have have a unit that can readily switch between vehicles and be lent to others. So I have it all running with the supplied harness and jumper leads on the battery post. Made a slimline protector to guard the battery power lead array with the stock one removed and jumper clips fitted. I then just threaded the harness through the cabin providing me with an on off switch in the cab and continuing onto the unit in the tub. Seems to work fine.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys
    Can someone please tell me what fuse number feeds that rear 12V socket, and also whether it is switched by aux or ignition on, or powered up always? Looking to use it as the trigger for the DCDC charger sensing wire rather than having to run the trigger wire all the way into the cabin to pick up an ignition on circuit
    thanks

Users Country Flag

Dont know about the Rok but the Tiguan manual has a list of what the fuses are with diagrams. Have you had a look to see if its there?????
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan