Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amarok test/review

agreed. if i were in the market for this i'd wait for one of the 4wd outfits to give it a proper test!

however i do have a feeling that the amarok would tend to be driven as a shopping trolley/family vehicle rather than used as a true workhorse/offroader anyhow.

i think the hilux just has it down pat in that department...

I own a current model Hilux. It's been around Australia twice, once towing a caravan, and it will be off again in a couple of months. As delivered by Toyota, it was a long way short of the sort of vehicle that we wanted. But the bits needed to make it a lot closer to that goal were readily available. It has never given any trouble, and has been pretty severely 'off road'. It isn't particularly smooth, and I'd just love it to have a better engine and a much larger tow capacity.

Whilst the two litre VW diesel has the numbers (kw and torque) of the Hilux I'd have to admit that my preference would be for a bigger and lazier engine. I'm just not all that keen on having a thoroughbred out in the bush. Right now I'm seriously considering buying an Audi Q5 3 TDI (not for the bush I might add), and if VW had chosen to put that engine or a derivative into the Amarok I would be interested. But, with variants of the Golf engine, no thanks.
    MY08 R32, DSG, Sunroof, RNS510
    MY11 Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

Users Country Flag
    The engine and concept has been developed by VWCV for a couple of years now.

I have no qualm with a low capacity engine powering the Amarok or that vehicle size.
    We must also remember Europe is taxing high capacity engines this is VWs way of saving extra costs to the buyer and that the vehicle is built and made also for Developing markets where costs must be kept down otherwise no money would be made.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag
    Don't worry about the engine size chaps, we've got the same engine in the transporter now and it's a MONSTER! 400Nm at 1500rpm to HiLux's 343Nm at 1400rpm says a lot... in fact the 103 is closer in spec to the HiLux motor.
    Daily Car: Random BMWs | My Toy: R33 Skyline GT-R | GF's Car: 1954 Beetle 'Oval' | Our (Her) Car: Alfa Romeo MiTo Sport

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, also new Euro6 emissions that are coming in 2014 are pushing manufacturers to downsize engines and reduce friction to improve fuel consumption, so the 6,8 and more cylinders engines will be soon the thing of the past. The 5 cylinder engines will replace them in prestige and high performance vehicles.

Users Country Flag

Review today in Drive

Review today ..... Safety, pricing key for inaugural Volkswagen ute

And more importantly for me .... 2 bits of key information .... 6spd manual only (initially) and a 2.0 TSI (Tiguan and GTI engine) to follow next year.

Both of those will mean an Amarok may just end up at my house .... 200kw/420NM Amarok (once modded) anyone?
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Review today ..... Safety, pricing key for inaugural Volkswagen ute

And more importantly for me .... 2 bits of key information .... 6spd manual only (initially) and a 2.0 TSI (Tiguan and GTI engine) to follow next year.

Both of those will mean an Amarok may just end up at my house .... 200kw/420NM Amarok (once modded) anyone?
    Sounds good.
    I wouldn't mind one but i already have the Tig and see no benefit to selling it other than "proper" offroad potential

The comments people write after those articles always amuse me, especially the "experts" who have a friend of a brother that once met a guy in a bar who's cousin worked for 2 months in the service centre of a VW dealership.....

"It's underpowered, the Hilux is so much more betterer because it's more betterer" and the old "Toyota and Mitsubishi and Nissan are so much more reliable", which I'll bet 3 qtrs of the people that say that, havent owned a current model of any of those vehicles!

Anybody who says that their "Japanese" aka "Thailand" ute is more reliable, well, NONE of the 15 odd models of the Hilux, Navara and Triton we have at work have ever been reliable.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    The comments people write after those articles always amuse me, especially the "experts" who have a friend of a brother that once met a guy in a bar who's cousin worked for 2 months in the service centre of a VW dealership.....

"It's underpowered, the Hilux is so much more betterer because it's more betterer" and the old "Toyota and Mitsubishi and Nissan are so much more reliable", which I'll bet 3 qtrs of the people that say that, havent owned a current model of any of those vehicles!

Anybody who says that their "Japanese" aka "Thailand" ute is more reliable, well, NONE of the 15 odd models of the Hilux, Navara and Triton we have at work have ever been reliable.
    The main issue is servicing and support imho.
    Any country town has a Toyota dealership and almost every car in teh outback towns is a hilux ute.

Since VW don't have dealer/service representation out there if you get a fault code or the DSG mechatronic unit fails or like in the mk6 you lose the drive gear, then you're pretty much F'd.

Users Country Flag

I hope they bring the petrol variant here sounds good
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast