Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amarok - speedo or diff ratios for larger wheels

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by doinitsideways View Post
    I’m in QLD... QLD is up to 50mm larger diameter

But, since OP can’t use google...

From the NSW RTA light vehicle modification guidelines

In addition to the above, the following are not considered to be significant modifications and do NOT require assessing or certification:
    a. Except where specified below, modifications to the suspension that does not increase or decrease the vehicle’s ride height by more than 50mm.
    b. Changes in the diameter of the wheel and tyre combination of up to +/- 7% of the largest size specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
    c. Modifications to the ride height up to 75mm that incorporate a maximum change in the suspension of 50mm, and/or an increase in the diameter of the wheel and tyre combination of up to 50mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Which is an excerpt from the link I posted in reply 4 which you must have missed
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

None of which had anything to do with the diff gear and recalibrating the Speedo...which was the op question... some people don’t care about illegal...

Quote Originally Posted by Martinmm5 View Post
    Hi! Is there any OBD2 tool or Sydney based company that could adjust speedo on Amaroc Core V6 550 2019 for about 3 inch larger tyres?

Is it possible to charge diff ratios to compensate for larger tyres? If yes, who makes them? I would actually prefer that option. Thanks a lot!
    I have heard a rumour that the 4 banger runs different diff ratios, but you would have to change out the whole diff if it’s true to get the lower ratio...

Users Country Flag
    None of which had anything to do with the diff gear and recalibrating the Speedo...which was the op question... some people don’t care about illegal...

Oh well if NONE of it is the answer why did you quote it

I have corrected my speedo readout in a Tiguan but dont know if it would be applicable in the Amarok

By altering tyre size you CAN alter the speedo reading but it has to be worked out with a tyre comparator. One of my cars is 7 fast at 100kph but to bring it back to correct would require a diameter increase of 46 mm which would be illegal in a car

Cool story...

So you haven’t technically altered your Speedo... you’ve changed tyre size to compensate... the OP wants to fit 3 inch larger tyres and then recalibrate his speedo so it reads correct...

And you didn’t answer anything about changing diff gears, nor anything about recalibrating a speedo.

I originally commented on the code red because I did read it, and was pointing out that the AMAROK is a light vehicle... your Tiguan is a passenger car... they conform to different standards.

Back to the recalibration topic, Have you actually done that, Connected to the ECU via the OBD2 port to recalibrate the ECU?? I highly doubt it.

Users Country Flag
    Cool story...

So you haven’t technically altered your Speedo... you’ve changed tyre size to compensate... the OP wants to fit 3 inch larger tyres and then recalibrate his speedo so it reads correct...

No I didnt do it as it is an illegal size

And you didn’t answer anything about changing diff gears, nor anything about recalibrating a speedo.

I originally commented on the code red because I did read it, and was pointing out that the AMAROK is a light vehicle... your Tiguan is a passenger car... they conform to different standards.

Back to the recalibration topic, Have you actually done that, Connected to the ECU via the OBD2 port to recalibrate the ECU?? I highly doubt it.

Yes I did an alteration in a Control Module to bring it to being bang on at 100kph

Didnt mention altering diffs etc as out of my skill set but was pointing out that his tyre size may be illegal and doing all of what he wanted to do may be a waste of money if he is defaulted for the tyres
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 24-01-2020 at 08:00 AM.

He could go through a SSM and get it approved ($$$) Or like some people, run the risk of a fine... but I’m not his dad, so I honestly don’t care if he wants to do something illegal...

OP, you will probably also need aftermarket UCA’s to clear the tyre sidewall as well as decrease your wheel (rim) offset from +45 to +20 to minimise scrubbing on the chassis. This will increase your track by 50mm plus what ever the extra width of the tyre size is over OEM, QLD only allow track increase of 50mm without engineering (Lane change test) which will set you back about $900.

Your also going to need a suspension lift of 35mm... (any higher
    And you will need a diff drop as well.)

I’m looking at the SCF 43mm body lift to go with my 35mm suspension lift already installed, however QLD do not allow body lift without engineering (that $900 I mentioned above).

I am then also just starting to research 33inch (roughly 3 inch over OEM) tyres myself to go under once that is done, but it has led me to SSM (second stage manufacturing) which generally needs to be done prior to the vehicles first registration, but there’s a few loopholes in QLD I’m looking into)

Hillbilly, can you elaborate on how you modified a module? I’d like to understand what you did and how?

Users Country Flag

Hillbilly, can you elaborate on how you modified a module? I’d like to understand what you did and how?

Read up in the VCDS threads

Have no wish to get doubted any more
    Last edited by Transporter; 24-01-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Fix quote

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12