Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amarok secondary fuel filter

Users Country Flag

Amarok secondary fuel filter

I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a secondary fuel filter kit from Diesel Care for the V6. It's 2 micron and apparently copes with 300lph flow.
    Obviously VW are non committal warranty wise apart from saying if I did fit one, make sure it's a reputable brand/company (obviously). Unlike my old 2.0lt, the V6 has no drain bung, which I used to drain a small amount occasionally to remove any possible water.
    So question is, has anybody fitted one of these or have any constructive comments for or against?
    Volkswagen Amarok TDV6 - Secondary Fuel Filter Kit - DCS046 | Diesel Care Australia
    Cheers.

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn’t do it. Fitting the water trap as close to the fuel tank as possible is a better option. The VW diesel fuel system is well designed and you shouldn’t need additional fuel filter.
    Fitting it after the factory filter is as wrong as fitting it before, because it’s probably finer. Too much filtration may cause fuel to foam and that’s bad for the fuel system components. I’m surprised that the dealer or wherever in VW head office you got to ask, didn’t know better.

If you still have to have one, fit the coarser one before the factory filter, though I’d still prefer changing the fuel filter every 15,000km if I were refueling at the servos where is expected that the fuel quality is not as good.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by Transporter; 02-08-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Interesting points you make, thanksAmarok secondary fuel filter

Users Country Flag
    I would removed the factory filter near chassis rail, ran the fuel lines near aircon pipe to beside the ECU. mounted 2 caterpillar fuel filters. have a 5micron and 30 micron. $130.00 each, they mount off a bracket. Part number for the kit is 144-9962(includes 5 micron filter) and 30 micron filter is 138-3100. if you pick up the parts from caterpillar they will give a bull**** excuse that they can't find the part your after, this is due to the parts being tracked to the serial of the machine/equiptment. caterpillar Brisbane is open 24/7 just press the buzzer near the gate and bring some beers if the footy is on...... they have 2 tv's running all the time.
    Amarok secondary fuel filter-screen-shot-2019-08-02-4-58-45-pm-pngAmarok secondary fuel filter-screen-shot-2019-08-02-4-58-13-pm-png
    Last edited by AUSSYROK; 02-08-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Quote from net4x4 who does a Mann+Hummel kit for v6

Tested extensively on our own vehicles, we believe our Mann+Hummel PreLine 150 Fuel Filter to be the best & most complete Amarok specific fuel filter kit available on the market. We only use & recomend a pre filter set up as the original filter is already the correct micron filtration level to match the vehicles fuel system & a pre filter at 30 micron is more efficient at filtering out water in diesel fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys. Back to the drawing board...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by winchy View Post
    I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a secondary fuel filter kit from Diesel Care for the V6. It's 2 micron and apparently copes with 300lph flow.
    Obviously VW are non committal warranty wise apart from saying if I did fit one, make sure it's a reputable brand/company (obviously). Unlike my old 2.0lt, the V6 has no drain bung, which I used to drain a small amount occasionally to remove any possible water.
    So question is, has anybody fitted one of these or have any constructive comments for or against?
    Volkswagen Amarok TDV6 - Secondary Fuel Filter Kit - DCS046 | Diesel Care Australia
    Cheers.

The same brand prefilter 30microns with one spare filter for Amarok
    VW Amarok Fuel Manager Pre-Filter Kit - Fuel Screening Australia

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSYROK View Post
    I would removed the factory filter near chassis rail, ran the fuel lines near aircon pipe to beside the ECU. mounted 2 caterpillar fuel filters. have a 5micron and 30 micron. $130.00 each, they mount off a bracket. Part number for the kit is 144-9962(includes 5 micron filter) and 30 micron filter is 138-3100. if you pick up the parts from caterpillar they will give a bull**** excuse that they can't find the part your after, this is due to the parts being tracked to the serial of the machine/equiptment. caterpillar Brisbane is open 24/7 just press the buzzer near the gate and bring some beers if the footy is on...... they have 2 tv's running all the time.
    Amarok secondary fuel filter-screen-shot-2019-08-02-4-58-45-pm-pngAmarok secondary fuel filter-screen-shot-2019-08-02-4-58-13-pm-png
    It sounds like a good idea and they should have an adequate flow. Do you have any pictures of your install?

Users Country Flag
    Hi,

In regards to the OEM filter. Does anyone know the material used & micron rating? I noticed that some models have a water sensor & others do not. I believe that none have a water drain as you mentioned. Does anyone know with the filter that has no sensor if it still filters water?
    Also what is the VW recommended filter change km/period? (60,000km)?

Has anyone actually monitored pressure or flow on the OEM prior to install of a pre?

Thanks,

Greywolf

I think the factory is 5 micron and that will stop most water I would have thought. I replace mine every service for the sake of $60. I'm running a larger turbo and tune so I take a bit more care when it comes to maintenance. Factory intervals for anything are a joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast