Thread: Amarok ride quality when towing

Amarok ride quality when towing

Be interested to hear from owners who tow a caravan, especially on poor/dirt roads. Does ride comfort change markedly?" The Amarok might be a load-carrier, but when the load is just 100kg sitting out in the breeze (on the towball) it has a negative effect on ride. We noticed some slight oscillation over bumps and overall got the feeling the dampers had a small amount of travel in which there was actually little damping control." Do you agree with this assessment? Volkswagen Amarok V6 2017 Tow Test - carsales.com.au
    Last edited by miker; 09-02-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by miker View Post
    Be interested to hear from owners who tow a caravan, especially on poor/dirt roads. Does ride comfort change markedly?" The Amarok might be a load-carrier, but when the load is just 100kg sitting out in the breeze (on the towball) it has a negative effect on ride. We noticed some slight oscillation over bumps and overall got the feeling the dampers had a small amount of travel in which there was actually little damping control." Do you agree with this assessment? Volkswagen Amarok V6 2017 Tow Test - carsales.com.au
    If VW allow it put a WDH on it Only need a light one for that amount of ball weight but it will help. NOTE AIR BAGS DONT as they only lift whats above them and dont help with pitching from ball weight at all.

I note in the road test it says NO WDH so thats out it seems and while you quote some of what was said you didnt quote this

"But the Amarok V6 certainly felt planted on the road – barely a hint of sway or fore-aft pitching."

Which is what you get from a heavy ball weight and no WDH"

I had a heavy van and always had a WDH on it and it towed fine On the one occasion I didnt it was an absolute pig and pitched and swayed to the extent it was dangerous. Luckily was on its way to being sold so no more worries.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 12-02-2022 at 07:20 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thanks Hillbilly - . If transferring some of the weight to the front axle sounds like
    a good thing, what is the reason VW don't' recommend it? New to towing so I am interested in maximising driver comfort!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by miker View Post
    Thanks Hillbilly - . If transferring some of the weight to the front axle sounds like
    a good thing, what is the reason VW don't' recommend it? New to towing so I am interested in maximising driver comfort!
    I dont know why they do that . Might be the way the towbar is attached at the rear of the unitary body as they do put quite a strain on the rear chassis. Would be an Idea to join a Caravanners forum where they have dedicated vehicle subforums..

I had a 100 Ser Landcruiser so could wind mine up tight and it didnt hurt it, unlike the Nissan's that had towbars rip out of their mountings
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Lately I towed a car trailer (with a car on it) with the Amarok on a number of occasions (10+) and if the load on the tailer is not balanced perfectly over the trailer axles there is a definite bouncing feeling in the Amarok.

So I suspect on the Amarok, load distribution on the trailer is more important than anything else. Getting the car on the trailer in the right spot definitely reduces (almost eliminates) the bounce. Not strictly your scenario but I hope it helps.

That reminds me, I really should buy a car trailer as hiring 1 every time is getting expensive and time-consuming.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...