Thread: Amarok reverse issues - any updates

Question Amarok reverse issues - any updates

Gday all,

We are close to pulling the pin on a W580. Love the v6 which is needed to pull our 3.1 ton camper. At this stage, the amarok or maybe a TDV6 jeep are the only options for us as we need that grunt. 300 series etc are to much £€¥

Only issue is we will be reversing the camper up a steep driveway, like really steep, our existing pentastar jeep has to be in low range to get her up and parked.

I’ve heard quite a bit about the reverse issues the Amarok has. Has this been fixed or is there a fix readily available? Don’t want to shell out $$$$ when my existing truck can do the job, all be it with great effort.

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers all.
    1 - Was a 2012 Blue DSG Scirocco R with Viezu Tune, now 2020 BMW X4 30i
    2 - 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited soon to be replaced.

Users Country Flag
    If I were you I'd be looking at this ... The Ineos Grenadier 4X4 | Ineos Grenadier AU

Due to arrive late next year and will be better than any other 4x4 you can buy ..... I think the wait will be worth it.

I love my Amarok (and not selling it ever), but not buying another and am getting a Grenadier next year.

BTW, the Grenadier is BMW powered.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    The reduced power/torque in reverse can be fixed with an aftermarket software tune. Around $1000-1200 for a transmission software tune.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    If I were you I'd be looking at this ... The Ineos Grenadier 4X4 | Ineos Grenadier AU

Due to arrive late next year and will be better than any other 4x4 you can buy ..... I think the wait will be worth it.

I love my Amarok (and not selling it ever), but not buying another and am getting a Grenadier next year.

BTW, the Grenadier is BMW powered.
    Looks like the kind of vehicle that would be amazing off road, but heavily compromised on road where the average person spends most of their time. Certainly looks like a competent off roader though.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Looks like the kind of vehicle that would be amazing off road, but heavily compromised on road where the average person spends most of their time. Certainly looks like a competent off roader though.
    Agreed, onroad performance would be interesting, but probably no worse than the "dedicated" 4x4s out there (Jimny, LC79, Wrangler) none of which are known for being easy to live with on the road ....

I'm expecting to have to run 2 sets of tires (1 for road and 1 for offroad) at least. The BMW turbo petrol 6 I can work with to make it go faster

I'll know more next month after I've seen and driven in the prototype currently doing reliability testing in Australia. The story behind this thing is amazing and shows what can be done when somebody throws money at development and does not care what it costs ($500m so far).

Besides I'm not known for always making the most rational decisions (some are strictly emotional) come buying cars, as can be seen in my eclectic collection. I already have some very singular purpose cars, so another can't hurt right?
    Last edited by Sharkie; 11-11-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...