Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Amarok DPF issues

Users Country Flag

I also have major issues with the DPF on my 2017 auto V6 Amarok. The DPF light comes on and then goes straight into limp mode. I can eventually get the DPF light to come on and come out of limp mode so I can get it to burn but by that stage I have stopped and restarted the car about 10 times and the engine light has come one by this stage. I'm lucky I have a neigbour with a scan tool that can clear my codes.

I have been told that the temp needs to be at normal operating temperature, drive at 70km/h or more for 20mins or more and it must have more than half a tank of fuel, otherwise it wont do a burn.

A European car built for European conditions not a car suitable for Sydney driving. Whilst I bought mine second hand with only 10k on the clock I was never oncve told about the DPF driving requirments.

Does the 4 cycl also have the same issues. I have been told it will do a burn at anytime when required regardless of the driving conditions or requirements.

Maybe it's time we go to VW Australia as a collective and start demanding a resolution to this problem. And it sound as though there is a large number of us that are having the issues.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jasone19 View Post
    I also have major issues with the DPF on my 2017 auto V6 Amarok. The DPF light comes on and then goes straight into limp mode. I can eventually get the DPF light to come on and come out of limp mode so I can get it to burn but by that stage I have stopped and restarted the car about 10 times and the engine light has come one by this stage. I'm lucky I have a neighbour with a scan tool that can clear my codes.

I have been told that the temp needs to be at normal operating temperature, drive at 70km/h or more for 20mins or more and it must have more than half a tank of fuel, otherwise it wont do a burn.

A European car built for European conditions not a car suitable for Sydney driving. Whilst I bought mine second hand with only 10k on the clock I was never once told about the DPF driving requirements.

Does the 4 cycl also have the same issues. I have been told it will do a burn at anytime when required regardless of the driving conditions or requirements.

Maybe it's time we go to VW Australia as a collective and start demanding a resolution to this problem. And it sound as though there is a large number of us that are having the issues.
    Notes from my pain and learnings with my Audi SQ5 (similar engine to the V6 Amarok so similar DPF behaviour). And yes the 4 cylinder diesel Amarok would also be similar.

- Oil temp of 80 degrees or more (which it wont get to without at least 15 mins of driving - these engines takes a long time to warm up)
    - More than 1/4 tank of diesel (I try to keep my car above 1/2 tank at all times for this reason)
    - No need to be doing a certain speed, but it can trigger the procedure earlier if you are going at a decent rate of speed (eg freeway)
    - Procedure to clean the DPF's completely takes a good 15-20 mins in which you should not turn the engine off until its finished. (if you do turn off the engine while the procedure is still going the engine fans will be running flat out and will continue to run for a period of time after the engine is turned off. Also you cannot hear the fans running until the engine is turned off).
    - You do not need to be driving at high speed for the DPF regen to commence or take place. Once it starts, you can potter around town/idle at traffic lights etc and it will still continue, but it seems to be a faster procedure when travelling at constant speed.

For a very small outlay, I suggest you buy yourself this Carista dongle Carista OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Customiser for Android and iOS – AutoInstruct and then this app for Android phone called VAG DPF and then you can do the following:

- Use VAGDPF app to connect to the Carista dongle to monitor the DPF levels and you then know roughly when the DPF needs to regenerate. The app also tells you when a DPF regen starts and when it stops. My car needs to do a DPF regen every 450-500km so im guessing your car will be similar.

- Use the Carista app and dongle to check and reset any error codes you have so you dont need to bother your neighbour all the time.

Some info and screenshots here of the VAG interface. Im an iPhone user so just bought a $50 Android phone from the Post Office to use for this purpose specifically: VAG DPF app on Android to monitor DPF
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-07-2021 at 10:27 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Mine is 2019 V6 16month old and done just 6500km of mostly short trips. I saw the DPF light on 2x. The first time it came on, I didn’t stop and just kept driving and it regenerated in under 20minutes of the hills driving. The second time it came on I’ve noticed that after ignoring the DPF light for a few times it went into the limp mode, but I was able to force regeneration using the scanner.

From my observation the V6 I have will try to regenerate again after interruption of the regen process in the next driving cycle and the temperature could be much less than 70degC, also the fuel level could be at minimum and it will happily regenerate. I went days with interrupted regenerations until it eventually regenerated.

Though, it’s not normal to drive all the time with the cold engine, so I don’t see it as the manufacturer fault. It’s more like using the car in the way it should never be used.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    It’s more like using the car in the way it should never be used.
    This is true and correct and I agree with you - the issue is that the manufacturers (not just VW, all manufacturers who sell diesel vehicles) and the dealerships should be disclosing this information very clearly so that customers can opt to buy a petrol engine if they regularly do short trips or potter around town. Dealership salesman should be given some basic training on diesels vs petrol and talk to customers about their driving habits etc and steer them towards the most suitable model for them. Of course this will never happen because the salesman couldnt give 2 $h!ts and just wants you to buy the car he will make the most profit on, but this is what should be happening.

Problem is that you are basically forced to buy a diesel these days with modern ute's and SUV's because any petrol variants they offer (IF they offer a petrol variant) are pathetically underpowered for such a big heavy car, and/or will only be available in the base model.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 31-07-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    This is true and correct and I agree with you - the issue is that the manufacturers (not just VW, all manufacturers who sell diesel vehicles) and the dealerships should be disclosing this information very clearly so that customers can opt to buy a petrol engine if they regularly do short trips or potter around town. Dealership salesman should be given some basic training on diesels vs petrol and talk to customers about their driving habits etc and steer them towards the most suitable model for them. Of course this will never happen because the salesman couldnt give 2 $h!ts and just wants you to buy the car he will make the most profit on, but this is what should be happening.

Problem is that you are basically forced to buy a diesel these days with modern ute's and SUV's because any petrol variants they offer (IF they offer a petrol variant) are pathetically underpowered for such a big heavy car.
    You’re 100% right. The buyers should be told.

Users Country Flag
    I have a new 2020 V6 TDI580

Every so often, as you stated-

70km/hr in 4th or D for Atleast 25 min is what the car needs to do,

We call it a cycle. I have worked for Audi and vw and have seen this issue many times. The DPF needs to do a “burn off” and clear the black dirty soot from the exhaust Amarok DPF issuesAmarok DPF issuesAmarok DPF issues

The blocked exhaust system is dangerous to the system/engine and needs to be removed from the system by this “burn off”

I’ve put it simply. As you may know Toyota hilux has the other issue with the DPF.

Not a good thing for these cars to be driven short distances... all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I note here everyone is comparing their different models-

Have to remember no vehicle is the same and Volkswagen is special.

Different engines/models perform differently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Lucas_R for the info. I have just ordered the Carissa ODBR device.

Hi All,

I too am suffering DPF issues with the Amarok V6. Our Amarok is in the dealer for the 6th time, only 50,000km on the clock. Both the dealers and VW Australia couldn’t give two hoots about this problem, and are unwilling to acknowledge the problem, or fix it. They will only take action if we act as a group. Contact me if you would like to be part of this action – yoshifusa7@gmail.com
    We can act in a number of ways if we get enough people together:

• Class action
    • Complaint to relevant government consumer protection organisation(s)
    • Social media campaign

Toyota only addressed their vehicles DFP problems after group action was taken. This is what needs to happen with VW.
    I also drive a Hilux and a Captiva. Both with many more kms. Neither have had DFP problems. The Hilux toddles around site and hardly gets over 10km/h. It is not the way you drive it, there is a design fault with the V6 Amarok which VW are unwilling to acknowledge. It is too easy for VW to say to the individual ‘it is the way you drive it’. But they cannot deny the problem if we act as a group.
    I have recently bought a scanner tool to try and diagnose the problem myself. Here is what I have found:

• The DPF active regeneration is triggered by the value ‘soot mass calculated’. This value is made up of the ‘soot mass measured’ and presumably other measurements like mass flow and temperature. When the ‘soot mass measured’ is more than 10g away from ‘soot mass calculated’ the latter jumps up to the ‘measured’ level ignoring all other calculation factors. Normally ‘soot mass calculated’ jumps to a level where active regeneration is triggered. However when ‘soot mass calculated’ is near the active regeneration level I suspect ‘soot mass calculated’ jumps through the active regeneration level straight into limp mode.
    • The DFP filter light comes on for a couple of seconds (if at all), before going straight into limp mode.
    • The active regeneration is very efficient. Doesn’t matter if you are idling, or driving on the freeway, soot mass is reduced. Driving faster does reduce soot mass quicker, although regardless of car driving profile DPF soot is reduced successfully.
    • Our Amarok never gets hot enough to passively regenerate. Soot mass is always accumulated regardless of driving profile. Highway driving or toddling around the suburbs requires active regeneration about every 250-300km.
    • Active regeneration occurs regardless of fuel tank level. I’ve seen active regens with less that ¼ tank of fuel. I’ve seen the car go straight to limp mode with a near full tank of fuel.

VW say that driving profile and fuel tank level are the problem, but from what I have witnessed this simply isn’t true. Just shows you they don’t even know their own cars, and are not even attempting to fix the problem, just pushing it back on the consumer.

Display info

Hi,

How did you get all that info to appear on your radio screen ?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast