Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amarok DPF issues

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    If your previous AMAROK was TDI, then nothing should change for you, the V6TDI is not any different and as long as your trips are around 15km (or the same as in past) you should have no issues with the DPF in your new Amarok.
    I'd have to disagree here based on owning a MK6 TDI with a DPF and also having a few in the family. In several years and 150K of driving I very rarely noticed a burn happening nor do any of the other VW DPF owners in the family. I've got a mate that's on his third Amarok, all 2.0's and his first was from the first shipment here, and he hardly ever notices a burn either.
    Contrast that to the V6 TDI and IMO they are very different. I've done about 150 klms today in my ute - first trip was about 25 klms and a burn started during that trip that wasn't finished when I stopped, next trip 35 klms no burn, next trip about 50 klms and burn started again. I know there is nothing wrong and it's normal for this engine, but it's very different to how the DPF vehicles I'm used to work. It's not uncommon to experience 4 burns per tank.

Initially I questioned the dealer service manager about the frequency of burns and he said you can't compare the V6 to the 2.0 TDI's I was used to. He said they work very differently as the V6 has a much finer filter which in turn blocks much quicker requiring more frequent burns. I don't know if that's correct or not but anyone comparing the V6 DPF operation to the 2.0 will be wondering what's going on - unnecessarily so it seems.

Users Country Flag
    Agree, my shortest trip nowadays is 40km and most of that being 100kph. I will sometimes get to the end of the 100kmh stretch into town and the engine is doing a burn. Never had the light on though. Completely different animal to the 2lt Amarok I owned previously. Queried the dealer also and was told not to worry, but if the light came on, drive it hard for a half hour.

Users Country Flag
    I don’t know what are you about. I had the 2.0TDI Amarok for 5 years, driven short trips never cared what the DPF was doing the same I do with he V6TDI. If there’s the regeneration in the progress, nothing will happen if you turn the engine off and carry on with your life, the regeneration process will start again and finally finish once.

We have 2 TDI Tiguans, V6 TDI Touareg that done almost 200,000km all of them driven by females, they don’t have/never had the issues you talk about.

Why listen and watch for the regeneration and stress about it? Why look for the problems that don’t exist?

I’ll say it again,
    if you’re normal driver and drive the DPF equiped car then whether it’s 4cyl. TDI or V6 TDI, the regeneration process doesn’t require any input from you and the waste majority of drivers don’t even notice the DPF is regenerating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Jeromeo thanks for sharing the info on the VAGDPF app for Android. I use an iPhone but will happily buy a cheap Android phone or tablet to get the ability to see DPF info on my car. My engine code is CGQB (3.0TDI V6 bi-turbo) which is not listed as being supported, so i will try the free version first and see if it works.

Would you mind confirming which type of OBD2 dongle you are using too?
    My engine is not supported either.... Amarok DPF issuesAmarok DPF issues
    But I tried everyone and recorded results until I found one I was happy with.
    I have been using obdlink MX Bluetooth for the last six years now. Its always connected on the obd2 port. Never had any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t know what are you about. I had the 2.0TDI Amarok for 5 years, driven short trips never cared what the DPF was doing the same I do with he V6TDI. If there’s the regeneration in the progress, nothing will happen if you turn the engine off and carry on with your life, the regeneration process will start again and finally finish once.

We have 2 TDI Tiguans, V6 TDI Touareg that done almost 200,000km all of them driven by females, they don’t have/never had the issues you talk about.

Why listen and watch for the regeneration and stress about it? Why look for the problems that don’t exist?

I’ll say it again,
    if you’re normal driver and drive the DPF equiped car then whether it’s 4cyl. TDI or V6 TDI, the regeneration process doesn’t require any input from you and the waste majority of drivers don’t even notice the DPF is regenerating.
    I also had 4 cylinders for 5 years and never had problems with DPF. I also have a Tiguan TDI and do only start stop at slow speed with it( mail delivery) and no problems. But if I don’t keep an eye of my DPF on the V6. It will through the orange light as I’m driving only short trip with it. No time to go in temperature. It’s not really the car fault but mine. I learned how to manage it. Until I can afford an electric car. I go for longer drive when I need.

Users Country Flag
    That’s good. Also using the highest cetane number fuel might help (I use BP and always with the fuel additive), if your driving conditions are as such.

That’s good. Also using the highest cetane number fuel might help (I use BP and always with the fuel additive), if your driving conditions are as such.
    Yes I try to always use BP premium diesel. I now have 32000km on it and no more issues but I have to make sure she can do a proper regeneration between 250 and 300km. As I said I learn to live with it. It’s a silly system but diesel are designed to be driven a lot. I used to do over 65000km per years before.... not anymore.

Users Country Flag

I’ll say it again,
    I never mentioned mentioned anything about problems. What I said was the V6 DPF doesn't operate like the 2.0 TDI's from a driving perspective and to suggest they're the same is wrong. As to if that will lead to long term problems remains to be seen but repeated hard shutdowns from the sort of temperatures involved are not good for the longevity of metals.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by V6 Rok View Post
    I never mentioned mentioned anything about problems. What I said was the V6 DPF doesn't operate like the 2.0 TDI's from a driving perspective and to suggest they're the same is wrong. As to if that will lead to long term problems remains to be seen but repeated hard shutdowns from the sort of temperatures involved are not good for the longevity of metals.
    ...and I never said that V6 TDI has the same DPF as 2.0TDI.

I’d like to know more about what my dpf is up to... I’m not worried about it or anything.

I used OBD Fusion this morning on the way to work and noticed the egr gas temps jump from 350ish to nearly 700 ish on my way to work, assume this is the burn happening.

Has anyone got any iOS app that’s as good as VAG DPF for info??

Cheers,
    JB

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast