Thread: Amarok clutch SACHS or LUK?

Users Country Flag

Amarok clutch SACHS or LUK?

Hi guys, any idea which is the higher rated clutch for 4cyl Amarok? Mechanic is happy to install either a LUK or SACHS clutch kit and at the moment i'm swinging towards LUK as it's about $200 cheaper installed.

My ute is a petrol TSI E888 stage 1 APR tuned making 190kw 430nm at the wheels. Have been doing some research on Facebook Amarok forums and most recommend the LUK kit for the diesel which apparently is also thrown in an Exedy box and sold at a higher price.

Read some old VW GTI threads stating the SACHS was able to hold more power, can anyone confirm?

Users Country Flag
    Perhaps research if the V6 manual TDI's clutch will fit. The 2.0 TSI and 2.0 TDI boxes are very similar, so maybe that would work ...

SACHS makes performance versions of their clutches, they have 1 for the TSI Performance Clutch VW Amarok - 3000950937-S

In fact its the same part number as the BiTDI performance clutch, so should cope well up to ~480NM
    Last edited by Sharkie; 23-06-2022 at 08:00 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah i'm pretty sure the V6 is different. TDI & TSI 4cyl are the same unit.

The Sachs performance unit looks good but will be expensive to ship from EU as only available overseas.

There are some single mass options out there as well as HD kits from places like Xtreme Outback but have read bad things about these.

From all accounts the LUK or SACHS standard kit should be ok but the modifying disease I have says otherwise haha!

Got an update on the Rok currently in mechanic shop getting clutch done.
    The TSI has a LUK flywheel and clutch installed, at 130k my clutch was about 50% worn but the dual mass was on it's way out. Flywheel has hot spots and glazing from where the clutch was slipping.

The kicker is Sachs doesn't make a flywheel for the TSI and the LUK one that came from supplier here in AUS is a 6 bolt diesel unit where as the petrol Amarok runs an 8 bolt setup which apparently even Exedy don't supply here in AUS.

We have sourced an 8 bolt LUK flywheel from Singapore so hoping that doesn't take too long to get here.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by EZZA View Post
    Got an update on the Rok currently in mechanic shop getting clutch done.
    The TSI has a LUK flywheel and clutch installed, at 130k my clutch was about 50% worn but the dual mass was on it's way out. Flywheel has hot spots and glazing from where the clutch was slipping.

The kicker is Sachs doesn't make a flywheel for the TSI and the LUK one that came from supplier here in AUS is a 6 bolt diesel unit where as the petrol Amarok runs an 8 bolt setup which apparently even Exedy don't supply here in AUS.

We have sourced an 8 bolt LUK flywheel from Singapore so hoping that doesn't take too long to get here.
    This is good to know for the future, although it sucks that it probably means you are off the road whilst waiting for the flywheel. What does the new 1 cost? Might have to order 1 in anticipation of a future replacement, at ~90K kms and it still is holding up well for the moment.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    This is good to know for the future, although it sucks that it probably means you are off the road whilst waiting for the flywheel. What does the new 1 cost? Might have to order 1 in anticipation of a future replacement, at ~90K kms and it still is holding up well for the moment.
    Yes we're off the road, hopefully we get it early next week. Cost of the whole LUK kit with the incorrect flywheel is roughly $1300, we have negotiated a bit of a deal with the supplier to take back the incorrect flywheel and source the 8 bolt but basically the TSI flywheel by itself is $1400 including shipping. I think he priced it up at VW but that was well over 2k for the flywheel alone.

It makes sense now that the wear was in the dual mass flywheel mainly. Even before the tune if I put the car in 5th gear at about 1800rpm from say 80kmph and planted the throttle it would create a driveline vibration until it got over 2500rpm. Once tuned it started to get worse and in the end I could get it to do this loading it up in third gear.