Thread: Amarok bluetooth module location

Users Country Flag

Amarok bluetooth module location

Hello All,

I have a MY21 highline V6. I removed the RNS510 deck or whatever the factory satnav deck is in these cars.

Ive installed a SQ oriented sound system in it, with hybrid audio subs, Helix DSP amplification, Helix splits and coaxials, Alpine x308AU head unit, extensive sound deadening, but the steering wheel buttons for the head unit phone control dont work, and its been explained to me that its because the original bluetooth unit was never disconnected.

Can anyone help by educating me: where the factory bluetooth unit lives in the 21 ROK, or can a fuse be pulled instead?

Not being able to use the wheel controls for phone is frustrating

would appreciate any help..

Users Country Flag
    It's not a separate module. It was integrated into the head unit (either Composition Media or Discover Media) that you removed.
    You need an adapter to allow the steering wheel buttons to work with an aftermarket head unit.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    It's not a separate module. It was integrated into the head unit (either Composition Media or Discover Media) that you removed.
    You need an adapter to allow the steering wheel buttons to work with an aftermarket head unit.
    The alpine deck has the extra harness to integrate to the factory buttons. and the head unit does work with most buttons. The alpine guy stated specifically the factory module has to be disabled for the phone functionality to operate. So im back to the square.. nearly $3k head unit that doesnt have phone controls unless i dig through the touchscreen menu every time.. :/

Users Country Flag
    Well not sure what you expect.
    You are putting in an aftermarket unit if they don't know how to integrate it properly maybe ask Alpine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Well not sure what you expect.
    You are putting in an aftermarket unit if they don't know how to integrate it properly maybe ask Alpine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    How do i respond to that without sarcasm?

Alpine dont have a help desk or help line. Only their dealers can give advice, and the question i asked, was based on advice form the alpine dealer.. So i guess i expected someone here to know 100% if there is a moduel and wher eit is, but sorry for expecting too much. Just possibly, i expected a helpful response..

Users Country Flag
    100% there is a module.
    It's part of the head unit you removed.
    So your supplier needs to find the actual solution
    Last edited by kamold; 29-01-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Kamold is correct (as always as the VW electronic components expert), there is no separate BT module for a MY21 Amarok. Your Alpine dealer's info is incorrect.

Up to MY15 BT was not part of the head unit and there was a separate BT module under the driver's seat (the only exception was the RNS315 units in certain models which had basic SatNav and BT all integrated. Post MY15, BT has always been integrated into the OEM VW head unit with no separate module.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    I suspect if Alpine haven't updated their integration protocols in the past 5 years since the gen3 head units were retired that in fact you need to ADD a Bluetooth module to the canbus gateway installation list (in pq25 this is integrated in the BCM).
    But if hope that they have a better integration method for media units at address 5f.
    Last edited by kamold; 29-01-2022 at 07:54 PM.

I suspect if Alpine haven't updated their integration protocols in the past 5 years since the gen3 head units were retired that in fact you need to ADD a Bluetooth module to the canbus gateway installation list (in pq25 this is integrated in the BCM).
    But if hope that they have a better integration method for media units at address 5f.
    thanks , thats somewhat technical and while i have VCDS, dont know how to use it properly yet. Ill figure it out in time i guess. Yes, Alpine dealers are probably not the best. Im very disappointed wiht the deck given its price and capability. For a sound system, its fantastic. for nav, phone etc, its not terribly great..

Users Country Flag

The best head units for integration are the factory ones. They are much more deeply embedded into the rest of the car's systems than they were in the recent past.
    That doesn't mean aftermarket head units can't integrate as well, it just means that there is a lot more effort required before they can do so (and there may be some features which are either just too hard or impossible to implement).
    The factory head units have also improved in their capabilities and software quality markedly.
    You can integrate aftermarket amps, speakers, EQs etc with the factory units, they just need to be correctly configured.