Thread: 2016 Amarok Power Steering Noise

2016 Amarok Power Steering Noise

Hi all,

I've done a couple of days of searching, googling, youtubing and scouring what workshop manuals I can find.

I'm struggling to find any info on changing power steering fluid/filling reservoir.

Long story short, my 2016 amarok squeeling when its cold.
    I thought it was possibly the turbo and had it looked at by the local VW dealer who logged it with VW but categorically denied that it was the turbo.
    They topped up the fluid which did ease the noise until now (about 18 months later)

I suspect the whole lot needs to be dumped and refilled but I can't find any info on what PS fluid or whether there are any special tools required given the power steering reservoir looks like requires another tool to open.

Once I get the cap off, it looks like there is another yellow cover, but not sure if there is a special tool to pop it off... cautious of damaging anything.

Any help or ideas?

Users Country Flag
    Wait a minute - the Amarok doesnt have electric power steering like every other VW/Audi product in the last 15 years?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Mine is a MY16 so probably not covered by that recall.

Spring, Summer and early Autumn, no dramas.

Its certainly not a metal on metal noise.

If you chuck it in neutral and rev it does the same thing, so not gearbox or anything.

Turbos seem fine, only thing I can put it down to is powersteering

Users Country Flag
    Nope still mechanical PS, I drained mine and filled with fluid from VW, its green in colour

Users Country Flag
    Just so you all know, power steering pumps fail on the Amaroks (TSI and TDI) early. It is a documented issues, although they generally fail at about 5 years, which is too late even for a goodwill claim from VW.

Ours is on the way out at the moment. Still works if you have a bit of revs on it, so tight turning is now (and has been for about a year now) accompanied by an extra bit of light throttle.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Change the PS oil every 20,000km and it will last forever.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Change the PS oil every 20,000km and it will last forever.
    Thats crazy! Im sure its not in the service schedule to change the power steering oil every second service. Why would VW make such a crap setup that requires oil changes so frequently?

Im sure most older cars that have these old school hydraulic power steering systems are running around with the same fluid in them for 80,000-100,000km's before they are changed.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Power steering and brake fluid are hydroscopic. They attract water, most manufacturers that specifically mention brake or steer ring fluid talk about changing every 20-30’000 Kim’s. I know landrover used to say 100’000 Kim’s on the td5 discovery but they also used fully synthetic fluids. People don’t normally bother until their brakes don’t feel right.

Sent from me 2016 Amarok Power Steering Noise