Support VWWC

Thread: 2.0l engine blowby

2.0l engine blowby

Hi all, just seeing if anyone could help me on if they have had the same issue or could do a check on theirs? My 2012 Amarok has excessive blowby and is coming out the dipstick in which im concerned it could be a cracked piston or worn rings. It has 140,000k on it. Any info or tips would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Users Country Flag
    You're getting fuel/air mixture or exhaust gases coming out of the dipstick?
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Assuming you have the 2.0L turbo petrol engine in your Amarok - have you checked/changed your PCV. Its a common failure on the 2.0 TSI engine and causes symptoms similar to what you have.

This one should be the right part for your Amarok but best to double check part numbers first: 06H103495AH - (PCV) Oil Separator - Audi & VW (CCZA, CDNC, CDAA, CAWB)
    – VAGPARTS Australia
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for the replies,

Sorry I forgot to mention it’s 2.0l TDI. There’s no blowby at cold start only after warming up, more looking at combustion/exhaust gases not air/fuel mixture it’s not running rough and no strong smell of diesel. Looking into it, apparently it Seems like this may be a common/normal operation in the tdi’s after a fair amount of km’s on the clock and they recommend putting a catch can in to reduce the blowby.

Users Country Flag
    A catch can will catch oil that circulates through the PCV system, that's certainly true.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    A catch can on ANY diesel engine is a very good idea. You are lucky that with the Amarok (and utes in general) being so popular you can buy a complete bolt in kit, I had to make my own kit as no one had a catch can to suit an SQ5. Berrima Diesel eShop | ( Provent Catch Can Kit ) VW Amarok 2.0Lt 2010 - ON
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Yeah I’m hoping that this will slow it down a bit, I’ve got a kit on the way which hopefully will be here tomorrow for me to install and will see how it goes!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmymick View Post
    Yeah I’m hoping that this will slow it down a bit, I’ve got a kit on the way which hopefully will be here tomorrow for me to install and will see how it goes!
    Sounds good. Also probably a good idea to inspect the factory PCV system before installing the catch can and ensure it isnt blocked/damaged etc, because if the factory PCV is faulty it will also increase blow by. (understanding of course that some of the PCV system is bypassed/modified once you install a catch can)
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST