Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellow 4 Door Project...

So, I’m having problems fitting the brakes. Apparently early ‘79 and late ‘79 have different thickness rotors and from the details I found on my car I have the right rotor thickness. But the pads don’t fit.

Here are a few pictures of the old and new pads which according to size is the exact same.

Anyone with info or help on this issue, please share I really can’t figure this out. My last resort is, overhaul kits for the callipers and just pulling it apart, cleaning it and then fresh seals etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I had the same issue and had to reorder pads for ones that were thinner. they looked identical and I thought my calliper wasn't all the way input I eventually found it was pad thickness that was the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    I had the same issue and had to reorder pads for ones that were thinner. they looked identical and I thought my calliper wasn't all the way input I eventually found it was pad thickness that was the problem...
    Went and double checked with the shop I bought from and there are two pads listed with the exact same thickness.

Worst case scenario, I buy overhaul kits for the callipers and maybe do the same and search for exact pad but slightly thinner. Yellow 4 Door Project...

Users Country Flag
    I just machined off the extra thickness on a set of bike pads...
    The material is the same on both types, just the thickness that’s different.
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

Users Country Flag
    You should upgrade to the MK1 GTI front brakes. Ventilated disks and the pads are twice the size. Gives you much better stopping power.

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    You should upgrade to the MK1 GTI front brakes. Ventilated disks and the pads are twice the size. Gives you much better stopping power.
    That is future plans for the car. At the moment my main focus is to get the car on the road, and start driving her.

Users Country Flag
    Late model cabriolets (ie clipper kit ones) came with gti brakes.
    From memory, You just need the callipers and then get new disks + pads.
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

Been away from the car for a short period due to work and other commitments.

Brief catch up on everything:

Put the old rotors and pads back in the front so I can get her on her wheels.
    I have brackets being laser cut for the LED headlights. (Should have it on monday)
    I have the air guides for the radiator being cut as well.(should have it on monday)

New water pump installed, and prepping new radiator for fitment during the next week. Gotta fabricate brackets to make the old fan shroud fit as the new radiator is GTi(will look for GTi shroud and fan a bit later)

Gotta get the mock up made today for the new expansion tank I have as well, so I can get that laser cut during the week.

And I realised that the timing belt tensioner I originally bought was to narrow, but luckily Repco could help when I was able to find the genuine part number. Also fitting that today and getting all the timing stuff sorted.

Will post pictures during the week with the lights and the air guides for the radiator etc.

Looking forward to the pics.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

New Timing beltYellow 4 Door Project...
    New Timing belt tensionerYellow 4 Door Project...
    Timing adjusted to have near perfect TDCYellow 4 Door Project...
    New Water PumpYellow 4 Door Project...
    New water pump/alternator beltYellow 4 Door Project...
    New front engine mount bushYellow 4 Door Project...
    Fuel pump timing setYellow 4 Door Project...

Still to do:

New coolant hoses
    Rubber grommets/feet for new radiator
    Expansion tank bracket design
    New thermostat
    New coolant
    Install new brackets for LED lights and then work on light placement

And I had my supervisor with me at all times to make sure I do things right and not miss anything.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast