Support VWWC

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellow 4 Door Project...

Nope. Gottta get her on the road. And have found someone in Sydney who helped me a lot with fault finding wtc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can the brains trust please help me out here:

I can get “brand new” coils that should fit the Mk1 but comes from a Scirocco and they will lower the Scirocco. Would they lower the Mk1 as well?

I have had some time to ponder why the car won’t start. And I think the “ignition system” is ok, because if I spray start ya bastard in to try and encourage it starting, it sorta does.

But I feel I might have a fuel issue. Which leads me to think that I cleared the tank and lines to the filter by using vacuum to draw it out, but now might have an issue pump or after pump to injectors issue.

Any suggestions on what to check or do first?

If you have a list of things, please list them in order of what to check first to last, as it’ll make it a bit easier finding the fault(process of elimination).

Users Country Flag
    Slightly crack the line at the injector, Put a rag around it, turn on the fuel pump, and crank it.
    There should be no bubbles in the lines, and the rag should get wet with fuel.
    Test all 4 with a dry rag and make sure they are all bleed.

If they are dry, keep moving back down the system till you get a wet rag.
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

And we have life. Found a bleed nipple on the last injector, attached my vacuum bleeding tool, and got rid of all the air.

Think she was a little flooded from before, so we added a little bit of start ya bastard and BAM, she fired and idle by herself.

Wish I could add the video of when it just started. But seems like I can’t.

Thanks to the brains trust for the advice on checking the lines for air etc.

Took her for a spin around the block and she was amazing.

Previous owner said that the gearbox had a 2nd gear issue. I had no problem for the short drive we had in it.

Users Country Flag
    Excellent news...
    2nd issue will most likely be worn selector bushings, or,even worn synchros...
    If you never rush it, it will probably be ok.
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

Don’t think I can rush it with the snails pace it runs at. Yellow 4 Door Project...Yellow 4 Door Project...Yellow 4 Door Project...

Users Country Flag
    If you get coils that lower a Scirocco then they will lower the Golf. If you want a MK1 that handles like a go-cart but still drives nice let me know. There's a few tricks that are very cheap to do but make a good car even better without sacrificing the ride quality.

And congrats on getting it running. Now you just have to sort out the electrics, like all MK1's.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    If you get coils that lower a Scirocco then they will lower the Golf. If you want a MK1 that handles like a go-cart but still drives nice let me know. There's a few tricks that are very cheap to do but make a good car even better without sacrificing the ride quality.

And congrats on getting it running. Now you just have to sort out the electrics, like all MK1's.

Cheers

Paul
    Thanks heaps. I have placed my order for stock shocks but lowered springs. And brakes all round. The fusebox was sent today, so hopefully be able to fit it this weekend and get all the electrical sorted this weekend.

I am also fiddling around with headlights and possibly changing to full LED headlights. Will post some pictures of that possibly tomorrow. Yellow 4 Door Project...

Users Country Flag

Definitely go LED. Very easy conversion (they just plug in) and will work down to 9v so you just have to boost the original 1970's wiring by 8v to get them to work.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast