Page 90 of 99 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you fix/replace on your Mk1 today?

Users Country Flag

i'm too ADHD to post everytime I fix something, but a small list:
    CVs
    windows scrapers
    front windshield
    coilovers
    front subframe brace
    rear subframe brace (removed, fouled against rear axle)
    front engine steady insert
    mk6 seat foam + upholstery onto the mk1 frames (headrests are ornamental, but otherwise this worked surprisingly well)
    replaced a fuse
    replaced the headlight switch which melted in the off position when i parked it at a servo at midnight last friday
    replaced another fuse or two
    replaced old kenwood headunit with a axis ax1004 DAB+/mp3/sd job
    removed bumpers
    added front repeaters (blinking too fast - higher wattage bulbs on their way from the UK)
    ordered a spare headlight switch from china for $10 (who knows, right?)
    changed steering wheel/boss to a deepdish OMP rally wheel
    replaced seat slider plastics
    removed rear seats
    removed rear seat belts
    stripped full interior, rust repaired, por-15'd
    new bitumen sheeting, bitumenised carpet underlay, new carpet
    new antenna (car didnt have one)
    new rear main seal
    new clutch
    and on it goes

Users Country Flag
    Jesus! Nice work man, into it

Users Country Flag
    blew a parker globe
    put infill panels from a cabby in the front 2 air ducts (no bumpers!)
    put jaycar kevlar cone 5" speakers in the back, retrimmed the side pods in black vinyl to suit carpet
    removed "jesus drives a volkswagen" sticker
    added "join the golf club" sticker (didn't get my vwwatercooled sticker when i paid up to support )
    retrimmed the dashboard - well, removed all trim. attempted to smooth it with bog and silicone. sprayed about 1290311 coats of bitumen spray over it, still rough - thank god for the carpet mat.
    added chassis brace connecting insides of where the bumper irons bolt to in rear compartment

lying around the garage:
    braided brake lines
    rear swaybar + mountingss (79 didnt have one originally)
    a bunch of poly bushings (engine mount inserts, front subframes and rear axle)
    gotta wire the headunit up with a normal 12v feed (just running switched atm, getting irritated with having to redo all settings every time)
    need to lift the front by 5mm and maybe drop the rear 2mm to get it level and sitting "right" - then get it off for an alignment.
    got a set of 15x6.5 multifits with hubrings - once these 165/175 tyres go, i'll do the right thing and get 195/50's on there.

omp wheel came with a dodgy horn (or it doesn't like the boss kit) so it tends to short - ordered a replacement last week. rethinking the deepdish wheel - it's pretty close to my face
    given the no rear interior thing, i'm wondering if i should stop fking around a bit and just get a cage done.
    dirty gertie is approaching an oil change (so might get a fumoto valve) and might need some new pads/rotors soon. everything broken is an opportunity to upgrade, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sebatron View Post
    blew a parker globe
    put infill panels from a cabby in the front 2 air ducts (no bumpers!)
    put jaycar kevlar cone 5" speakers in the back, retrimmed the side pods in black vinyl to suit carpet
    removed "jesus drives a volkswagen" sticker
    added "join the golf club" sticker (didn't get my vwwatercooled sticker when i paid up to support )
    retrimmed the dashboard - well, removed all trim. attempted to smooth it with bog and silicone. sprayed about 1290311 coats of bitumen spray over it, still rough - thank god for the carpet mat.
    added chassis brace connecting insides of where the bumper irons bolt to in rear compartment

lying around the garage:
    braided brake lines
    rear swaybar + mountingss (79 didnt have one originally)
    a bunch of poly bushings (engine mount inserts, front subframes and rear axle)
    gotta wire the headunit up with a normal 12v feed (just running switched atm, getting irritated with having to redo all settings every time)
    need to lift the front by 5mm and maybe drop the rear 2mm to get it level and sitting "right" - then get it off for an alignment.
    got a set of 15x6.5 multifits with hubrings - once these 165/175 tyres go, i'll do the right thing and get 195/50's on there.

omp wheel came with a dodgy horn (or it doesn't like the boss kit) so it tends to short - ordered a replacement last week. rethinking the deepdish wheel - it's pretty close to my face
    given the no rear interior thing, i'm wondering if i should stop fking around a bit and just get a cage done.
    dirty gertie is approaching an oil change (so might get a fumoto valve) and might need some new pads/rotors soon. everything broken is an opportunity to upgrade, right?
    for your radio, there is a stock wire in behind there for power... or another good one to use if your lazy is from the cigarette lighter
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Bought one.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    for your radio, there is a stock wire in behind there for power... or another good one to use if your lazy is from the cigarette lighter
    yeah there probably was at some point.
    just like how my washer jets and cigarette lighter socket probably worked at some point too

few more updates:
    re-globed the dash (yay, nightime tacho!)
    speedo stopped working - can hear the cable go, but the cluster doesn't respond (anyone got one spare?)

Quote Originally Posted by sebatron View Post
    yeah there probably was at some point.
    just like how my washer jets and cigarette lighter socket probably worked at some point too

few more updates:
    re-globed the dash (yay, nightime tacho!)
    speedo stopped working - can hear the cable go, but the cluster doesn't respond (anyone got one spare?)

The plastic clip at the back of the speedo that holds the cable in place has probably come loose ( as the clip may be damaged ) especially if you have been moving stuff around. i had the same problem on my cabbie last week.

Users Country Flag
    In about an hour, GTI81 will be getting an oil and filter change. For about the first time in four years (estimate).

And before anyone chips in, yes I know it's a long time, but the car has only done about 500km as it's been off the road for most of it...

Users Country Flag
    Replaced nothing..... Waiting for it to be registered!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Users Country Flag

I got sick of trying to maintain an earth circuit through the steering column for the horn switch so I installed a button switch in that little rectangle below the instrument panel. At last a reliable toot!

Page 90 of 99 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast