Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Vw 172 GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

It's been awhile since I've updated the thread.
    Received the Kjet rebuild kit and straight away started stripping the fuel distributor . The kit I bought was the Salvox brand and pretty happy with the quality.
    After installing everything I started the car up. It ran smoothly for 2 minutes and as soon as it's under load it started with the hissy fits again. Absolutely no change.
    We pulled the injectors off and they spray irregularly.... Starting to think the fuel pump is the corporate . Sounds like there's air in the system. Got a video to post up but got no idea how to post it.

Not sure if the video will work.

Can you setup a fuel pressure gauge before the fuel distributor and see whats happening when it sputters and dies? I had to do that from time to time with some of my builds. Even had a fuel gauge sticking up through the back of the bonnet and taped to the windscreen so I could see it while driving just to see what was going on in certain scenarios. Maybe you'll see the pressure drop right off.

So another month has passed and now the GTI is running!!
    Long story and I'll go into it another time but for now it's passed roadworthy and on Victorian club plates. Still a few little gremlins to sort out but so happy to reach this milestone.

Blood, sweat and hundreds of beers!!!
    Little teaser

Hurry up and reveal the rest!! 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    Blood, sweat and hundreds of beers!!!
    Quote of the year.

Ok gents so this is what happened ..... When I refurbed the fuel tank I used a fuel tank sealer. To be honest it worked great, maybe too great! It worked so great that it blocked everything in the fuel tank. So all this time we've been changing k-jet components over and mucking around with fuel pressures and tuning when a matter of a fact we had no fuel.
    Yes maybe a rookie mistake but trust me it will never ever happen again. Only realised it when I ripped the fuel pump off and almost no fuel came out.

Everything inside the fuel tank was blocked, lines, swirl pot, filter you name it.
    Filter got a quick clean in the ultra sonic cleaner, and good as new.
    Luckily lucky13 supplied me with another fuel tank and bang its running!!!
    Also done the door seals, and replaced rear wheel bearings. Still a few small gremlins, but man it's great driving a mk1 again. The stickers/ decals are finished to but I'll wait before I'll stick them on. Not 100% happy with the paint , so might need some rework before the GTI stickers go on.

Quote Originally Posted by roccodingo View Post
    Check the fuel flow delivery rate from the pump. 30 seconds running should deliver 900 mls @ 11.3 Volts. The stuff you stuck in the fuel tank may have choked the outlet line from the swirl pot inside the tank.

Doing the injector test did you raise / lower the air metering plate several times ?? ( bleed any air from the system )

The metering head & injectors you swapped known good units ??
    Thats a good outcome finally, but please read my post from 30 March, would have saved you a ton of work !! ( the hint to me was that you put sealer in the tank, simplest test was to take of the delivery hose at the bottom and if fuel didnt literaly pour out then its blocked. Having a car sit for a year or more will leave the residual fuel as a gooey mess which clogs the delivery pipe, this I know from first hand experience ) make sure you run it weekly to keep the K jet hassle free, it dislikes sitting about as the fuel starts to gum up the rest of the fuel system. happy motoring
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Hi Grant, spot on mate.
    There were so many different opinions and ideas but yes sir you were 100% on the money. At least I've learned so much about k- jet and know my way around it now. Probably lost hair and turned grey in the past few months. Lol

Users Country Flag

Haha it's always the small things we over look! Well done Tommie, so happy its finally working mate. It looks incredible, cant wait to see the finished result with stickers and all
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast