Support VWWC

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Vw 172 GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hi guys , thanks for the replies and advice. Been hectic lately and no the car is still not running under load.
    I am planning to do some more work tomorrow and will give a detailed description then...
    Here's a teaser of the car as it sits now, still needs decals/ stickers and few little finishing touches.

Righto Gents,

Car is still not running, but it might be the dizzy....
    So what have been done ,
    - Stripped and cleaned Kjet distributor in ultrasonic cleaner.
    - Basic set metering head arm to 18.8 mm.
    - Ultrasonic cleaned injectors .
    - Reshimmed fuel pressure regulator to 4.7 bar.
    - Confirmed fuel spraying out of all 4 injectors when cranking.
    - Found timing advance was not smooth and was jumping around in increments when revving.
    - Stripped distributor. Cleaned and lubricated.
    - Centrifugal advance , looks like it moves freely.
    - Disconnected and sealed both vacuum lines to dizzy.
    - Set timing to zero degrees. Check centrifugal advance at different rpm. Once rpm stabilised advance was in spec.
    - Still suspecting distributor issues.

Users Country Flag
    WOW!!! She looks awesome Tommie!

How are the shaft bushes in the dizzy that can cause breaking down and missfire under load, however I suspect that there are a combination of small things at play here. It's just a matter of finding them all.

A couple of things that you're probably onto, Cracked dizzy cap, it may look good but a crack can cause under load issues. Is there supposed to be a ballast resistor in the system, Points or trigger playing up, I had a brand new after market distributor in another car (a Holden SHHH!) the advance was all over the shop, breaking down under load, revved freely when in neutral, wouldn't rev past 2500 under load. It turned out to be a combination of the bearing clearances, and a faulty trigger.
    I hope my brainstorming is helpful!

Cheers, Scotty.

EDIT: Corrosion on terminals or in wires of the ignition system, check earthing too!
    Last edited by Mk1sleeper; 03-04-2017 at 09:07 AM.
    1976 Martini Olive Mk1 2 door Swallowtail
    1981 black Mk1 ragtop GTI in need of some tlc
    1979 Mk1 2 door - long term project
    2002 Oettinger V5 Bora - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1sleeper View Post
    WOW!!! She looks awesome Tommie!

How are the shaft bushes in the dizzy that can cause breaking down and missfire under load, however I suspect that there are a combination of small things at play here. It's just a matter of finding them all.

A couple of things that you're probably onto, Cracked dizzy cap, it may look good but a crack can cause under load issues. Is there supposed to be a ballast resistor in the system, Points or trigger playing up, I had a brand new after market distributor in another car (a Holden SHHH!) the advance was all over the shop, breaking down under load, revved freely when in neutral, wouldn't rev past 2500 under load. It turned out to be a combination of the bearing clearances, and a faulty trigger.
    I hope my brainstorming is helpful!

Cheers, Scotty.

EDIT: Corrosion on terminals or in wires of the ignition system, check earthing too!
    Cheers Scotty,

I appreciate all help.
    I've tried another mk1 dizzy ( which is running), and still no luck. Decided to open the dizzy, inspect it and clean it . Installed the cleaned dizzy and still no luck. Re- do the timing , advance and retard, and again it runs like ass once under load.
    Gone through all the other previous steps as mentioned in the thread and nothing.
    Decided to buy a fuel metering distributor repair kit for the Bosch Kjet, so until that arrives there will be no progress. ��

The car looks absolutely awesome Tommie! It will look spectacular with the trim and pin-stripe finishing touches.

I'm not much good with k-jet so can't think of anything you could try there sorry. It does sound like ignition to me as well, but it does sound like you have replaced most of the usual suspects, except maybe the TCI switch? The only other thing I can think of is downstream restrictions ie exhaust. It doesn't have a cat converter on it does it? When they block up the symptoms are similar - car dies under load. If no cat, maybe check the muffler?

Vacuum leak?

Users Country Flag
    Have you done a compression check?

Quote Originally Posted by HaydEn View Post
    Vacuum leak?
    Hey mate, done a vacuum test and all good.

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Have you done a compression check?
    Yes Sir, done a compression test and all 4 cylinders were fine.

Ripped the exhaust off tonight and still no difference, at least that's another tick off the list. Can't wait for the Kjet rebuild kit to arrive.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast