Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vw 172 GTI

Users Country Flag

They are sensational, Tommie! They look like they're straight out of the factory!
    Is the GTI back ??? Pics please.
    Cheers, Scotty.
    1976 Martini Olive Mk1 2 door Swallowtail
    1981 black Mk1 ragtop GTI in need of some tlc
    1979 Mk1 2 door - long term project
    2002 Oettinger V5 Bora - daily driver

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Picked the car up from the painter yesterday. Pretty happy in general, but I will definitely take the car back for a few little things I am not happy about. Luckily the weather played along as they had showers predicted. To be honest it was just a beautiful sunny day and no threats of rain.
    Straight away the car went onto the hoist to get the fuel tank removed. We noticed a while ago after destroying a few fuel pumps and filters that something isn't right with the fuel tank. As expected the fuel tank has so much old gunk in it , and that caused the premature failure of the fuel pumps. Poured some lacquer thinners and a few old bolts into the tank and Soaked it for a few hours. Every none and then fresh thinners and a good old shake.
    Sorry for the crappie iPhone photos.

Had a nice productive day today. Big thank you to Lucky13 for letting me use his hoist!

1. Installed some sound deadening material while the car is still bare inside. Now I know there are millions of different sound deadening materials out there, I went for the Byure Flash tape which you get at Bunnings. For $88 a roll I think it's great value and just help that extra bit of making the car sound proof. It does add a little bit of extra weight but then again I am not building a race car...

2. Installed some more lacquer thinner into the fuel tank and gave it a good shake, still a lot of gunk inside the tank. It's a very slow process.

3. Installed heater box , wiper and brake control linkages.

4. Wiring loom fed through to engine bay.

5. Engine and gearbox installed.

6. Replaced rear axle bushes.

7. Replaced front control arm bushes.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Looking damn good!
    Cheers mate, it's getting there....
    Last edited by Tommie; 15-03-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Had another productive session on the GTI after work.
    Installed the K-Jet, metering head, air box , injectors, warm up regulator, brake fluid reservoir, coil and a few other bits and pieces. The headlights were quickly fitted for a bit of a laugh.
    Still got a lot of gunk in the fuel tank. Hard to explain, but it's got a tar like viscosity and the fuel smells stale.
    Might have to look at another avenue as the lacquer thinners ain't doing much.
    Any advance from someone that has dealt with something like this???

Users Country Flag
    Hi Tommie,
    She's looking great! ..See I told you it would come together quickly!

For the fuel tank there is a product out there called oven and grill cleaner, it is sold under different names by commercial cleaning suppliers (if you were in Sydney I could get you some, my parents sell it). It is basically a supercharged caustic degreaser, pour it in straight, and do the same as you are with the thinners, leave it a while shake etc. and it will eat anything oil-based away. Wash thoroughly with water until it doesn't feel soapy anymore and allow it to dry (or help it with some heat!). It should do the trick, Ive cleaned so many hardc to clean things off with it I've lost count! Just don't get it on you....IT BURNS!!!! .... I know, I found out the hard way!!!!
    Cheers, Scotty.
    1976 Martini Olive Mk1 2 door Swallowtail
    1981 black Mk1 ragtop GTI in need of some tlc
    1979 Mk1 2 door - long term project
    2002 Oettinger V5 Bora - daily driver

Cheers Scotty,

Been flat out everyday working on the GTI. It's a matter of work, and then work on the car straight after work till late...
    Had a win with gunky/ rusty fuel tank.
    Bought some POR 15, automotive fuel tank repair kit. Probably the best $160 I've spend. The kit came with 4 litres Marine Clean, 1litre Metal Ready, 1 litre Tank Sealer, Patch cloth, Pouring spout and inspection mirror.
    First I used the marine clean to break down all the gunk. Used some really hot water and it worked a treat.
    Next the metal ready, which is basically a prep for the Tank sealer.
    And lastly the Tank sealer.

The trick was to make sure the whole tank got covered. You have about 20 minutes for that as it starts to cure.
    It takes about 3-5 days before you can pour fuel back into the tank.
    So that's another job ticked from the list!

Next on the agenda Interior.
    Big thanks to Dan ( Lucky 13) in assisting me with the interior.
    Having no experience with roof linings and hearing all sorts of horror stories, the roof lining came out surprisingly nice. Definitely not my favourite part of the rebuild.

Still got to sort out the cut out for the sunroof.
    We've also installed the fuel tank, interior carpets, front and rear seats.

Had another huge night last night and called it just before midnight. So bloody close now!!!
    Got the motor turning over, started it up and done the timing.
    No fuel, water or oil leaks
    Took the photo earlier in the night, but front and rear bumpers are on too, as well as the Windows. Not long now.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast