Support VWWC

Thread: Urgent Help Needed!!!

Exclamation Urgent Help Needed!!!

Just snapped one of the studs for the front control arms, so one of the studs that goes up in to the floor pan.

To make matters worse I am meant o be going racing this saturday!

What are my options???
    76 MkI 3 door - daily drive/project - 1.8 5speed
    76 MkI 3 door swallowtail - 16v track car
    76 MkI 3 door "long term" project

Users Country Flag
    sorry to say dude but that is catastrophic. Never in all my experience with golfs (12 yrs) have i seen that done! The only option you have is to try and unpick the welds for the bracket and install another stud (bloody difficult!) or cut the whole thing out and weld another in (again bloody difficult). I really feel for you and can only wish you all the best mate.
    77 Golf tarmac rally
    89 porsche 911
    80 Rabbit 4dr
    11 mk1 and 2\'s in various states of undress
    KEEPING THE BIG CUBES IN THE REAR VISION MIRROR

Users Country Flag
    Can you not drill it out and get a replacement (in your town from a bolt place) ??
    Children(VW) who have left home, among others:1966 VW 1300 Deluxe Bug(Harbour Blue)1966 VW 1300 Steel Sunroof Bug(Ruby Red), 1971 VW 1600 S Bug(White) 1972 VW 25th Ann. Bug(Avocado) 2000 VW Golf Mk IV GTI 3 door(Metallic Black Magic), 1985 VW Golf Mk 1 GLS Cabriolet (Metallic Gun Metal) Current: 1985 Mercedes Benz 280CE Coupe(Midnight Blue)

It's entirely my fault, I over tightened it. I had everything finished after getting the control arms back on and doing some other things, gave everything a quick double check gave it a crack and it snapped on me.

I can feel the top of the stud through the floor they have a flat head and that area must be double skinned, not sure if they are welded in or what though.

I have another large floor section which has all this section that I cold use to weld back in but argh time is against me!
    Last edited by static1800; 19-05-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Short term fix I'd drill right up through it and bolt right through the floor with reinforcing plates.

If it's double skinned drill right up through it with a pilot drill then down on that mark from above with a hole saw to expose the head of the captive bolt.

Then just drill the rest of the bolt out and replace it.

If you're wanting to get nasty with it get a trolley jack under the bracket hold it up against the floor and weld the sucker in 'till you can get it sorted proper.

Pete
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Worked out a solution for it I think, will drill out the the stud and tap in a new thread and use a bolt to secure it back.

Hopefully there is enough meat there to get a thread in?

Mate came over who is a mechanic and we got it all fixed, drilled through the bolt and tapped a new thread in. Am now using a bolt to secure the bracket.

We went all the way through so if I can get access to the top I can put it through to make it a stud.

Where the studs comes through is its own plate, tried bashing oe of the studs through on a spare floor section and the entire plate pulled up. So it would be possible to replace the entire plate as a permanent fix. Would require to cut that top footplate area out to access though.

Very relieved that its all sorted, Wakefield here we come!