Support VWWC

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Diesel Cabriolet Project (with head porting pics)

some pics.... things are coming together...a little slower than i'd hoped but they are.

the turbo's sort of back-to-front from the normal setup for the diesels, but for once it will be easy to run the intake pipes....at the cost of the exhaust being a little tricky, i expect.
    Last edited by gldgti; 18-09-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Just ran some rough calculations for power - hoping I should be able to get ~90kW@4500rpm and 300Nm @2000 rpm with this setup. That will have the little turbo pretty much maxed out but in my experience the GT-15 takes a lot of punishment.

Should be a ripper! Looking to sort out the oil lines tomorrow morning.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Mate this is adventurous, really cool build !!
    Love the idea of a turbo diesel cabby

Thanks mate, should be good fun - I used to run basically this setup in my mk3 TD (engine was aaz in my mk3 and it had no head work) but it used to break traction in first gear in the dry when boost came on....and 3rd gear in the wet... so in the cabbie it should be excellent - and with less weight I reckon it will surprise a lot of other cars ... well it'll be nice anyway
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Great to see some progress, Aydan. Loving it!!

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Users Country Flag
    great project man! Love how you dive in and do everything yourself
    VW: it aint just a car, its a way of life
    There are few things more satisfying in life than finding a solution to a problem and implementing it
    My Blog: tinkererstales.blogspot.com.au

update

I've been punished with the flu overthe past week, still have it, but spent today doing some pottering around.

got the waste gate mechanism sorted... because I've flipped the exhaust manifold upside down, I've had to re clock the turbo so that everything is pointing in the right direction - that also meant making some modifications to the waste gate actuator. heres a quick video of it operating - i just use my bike pump to provide some pressure to the actuator. You can use this method to set the opening pressure if you want, but i'll be using a turbotech manually adjustable boost controller to regulate the boost anyway, so it opens at about 6psi (setting it low means i'll be able to run vacuum via a solenoid to the other side of the actuator diaphragm, so that i can electronically open the waste gate at any time - for instance on the highway, with the wastegate closed, this turbo can easily make 12psi cruising at light throttle.... i'd rather it was just spooling along gently at 2-3psi when I don't need any boost though, so thats the reason for being able to open the waste gate whenever I like. It also helps to reduce the pressure in the exhaust manifold during cruise, which helps fuel economy a bit.
    http://youtu.be/S6rR3EX-c2E

also, I've been fixing Preeny's GLD's injector pump - here's what you get when you take the Bosch VE injector pump apart -

and here's the problem - seized vanes in the supply pump part of the pump.

new one is on the way and should be going in next week sometime.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Yikes. Thanks for the help on this one, dude.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

this is a quick video explaining the alternator setup and the tensioning mechanism..... I know I could buy a kit from INA, but that just doesnt make use of the otherwise useless parts I have lying around.....

A serp setup in my mk1 on a diesel engine for free? - thats why I do this stuff at all.
    http://youtu.be/oCkxHdsoyoA
    Last edited by gldgti; 14-10-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

update

Wow, I'm tired....

Big weekend - I thought I'd finished it at 6pm tonight and with a half dead battery from cranking it over I decided to roll start it down the street from my house.... this gives me about 8-10 attempts at a roll start before I get to flat ground and cant go any further...

Anyway, once i was at the bottom of the hill, having had it **almost** run a few times, I walked back to my house for jumper leads and a car. I thought it sounded like the timing was too retarded (it was) so I adjusted it in the dark on the side of the road and gave it another go.

To cut a VERY long story short, it runs, but only idling. I think however long the injector pump was sitting was too long, and the vane pump is not working (just like the picture on the previous page of Preeny's pump) ((which incidentally Chris I'm almost done with, sorry for the long wait)).

some pics, and a basic list of whats gone in:

> 1.9 TD diesel with GT-15 turbo
    > long runner intake manifold
    > 600x225x65mm FMIC
    > 2" hotside and 2.5" cold side IC piping
    > bigger brake booster
    > mk2/3 alternator on a single serp setup
    > 2" downpipe (its a small turbo OK!!!)

'98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast