Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque mount replacement idea

Torque mount replacement idea

Well its about time for another of my crazy DIY ideas.

Lately I have been plagued by the exhaust hitting the swaybar in the cabriolet. This happens under hard acceleration as the mounts allow the engine to react to the torque far enough that the exhaust is twisted down into the swaybar.

I have already 'modified' the 2.5" exhaust pipe where it passes the swaybar, and there is a good 25mm of clearance when the engine is just idling, but the torque of the 1.9TD is such that it just deflects the standard torque mounts (the one on the gearbox and the one at the radiator support) so much.

Now, yes I do realise that you can get stiffer mounts to 'solve' this problem, but the problem with these is that they turn the car into a noisy, harsh bastard. Especially because its a diesel.

What I am thinking is a whole new torque mount that will replace the front and rear mounts, quite similar in design to that which is used in the mk4 and onwards vehicles.

If the geometry is right, it should allow the engine to move around a bit (like at idle) but take up very stiffly when real torque is applied.

I am thinking it will use the same chassis mounting as the original 'block' mount, but might attach lower down on the gearbox than the factory one on the diff housing.

Anyway, before I go off and design and build one, has anyone seen this done before on a mk1? Do I need to bother making it when it can be bought?

Thoughts or advice appreciated!
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    What I have seen done, and that works well is welding a mk1 gearbox engine mount (just the round circular piece) to the front engine mount, and making a bracket to suit that bolts beneath the radiator. You'll have to ask volksee for specifics!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    1976 Mk1 LS 2L ABA K-Jet

Yes, that seems one logical solution - only problem with that (for me) is that I want to remove some of the stress on the radiator support, so I want to do it in the other side of the bay.

I hadn't considered actually using a gearbox mount though, thats a good idea. I have a couple of spares I could cut up.

Thanks!

I was thinking last night to do it right I will want to make it adjustable in length so that I can get it just right - some 16 or 20mm threaded rod should do the trick.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    hey there, I had a similar problem until I made this mod as mentioned by Anton. This puts almost nothing onto the front panel and has made not 1 bit of difference to the vibration from the motor but it has stopped the movement in a way in which the force is also damped by the rubber bush from a transmission mount (engine is harder as it supports more weight)

77 Golf tarmac rally
    89 porsche 911
    80 Rabbit 4dr
    11 mk1 and 2\'s in various states of undress
    KEEPING THE BIG CUBES IN THE REAR VISION MIRROR

That looks lovely Volksee, thanks for the pics!

Do you still have the rear mount in place aswell?
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    yeah mate, the rear mount is still there but is poly urethane on my car as it gets launched pretty hard with nice sticky race tyres. This front mount just takes to the rock out of the motor.
    77 Golf tarmac rally
    89 porsche 911
    80 Rabbit 4dr
    11 mk1 and 2\'s in various states of undress
    KEEPING THE BIG CUBES IN THE REAR VISION MIRROR

Users Country Flag
    Looks great, very nice mod...
    Neat, tidy, and factory looking to boot...

Added to my wish list... lol.
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

So here's my one!

Couple of after work stints has produced this this week:

After driving it, it has definitely solved my problem! I have also left the front one that goes to the radiator support off entirely!

Take up is much quicker but its actually smoother at idle and cruise than it was before.
    Last edited by gldgti; 06-12-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

awesome!

way cool. good to see some brains being applied, rather than simply looking an upgraded part/bush

Overall appearance reminds puts me in mind instantly of a mk 4+ style dogbone mount, so I'm not surprised it works. Infact, I wonder if a later model dogbone could also work? interesting.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Users Country Flag

Have a look at the below link for a similar solution. If you produce these locally, I'd be interested.

JMR MK1 Rear engine/gearbox mount offer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast