Support VWWC

Thread: Overheating and fan not working

Users Country Flag

Overheating and fan not working

Hi folks.

Tonight the MK1 started to get pretty hot with the temp gauge nearly in the red after a normal short drive including some light traffic. I pulled over and let it cool before it got into the red.

I noticed that the fan wasn't working - it usually comes/stays on after the engine is shut off, but not now.

What is normally the prob for these golfs? Thermostat?

The radiator isn't stock, but nothing special.

The car's now due for a service so it's probably trying to tell me something.

I've no experience with this on a golf so any tips etc before I look at it in the daylight hours.

Cheers
    Last edited by greasykitchen; 03-04-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

First things first before you go tearing apart the mk1.

The following has happen & can still happen from time to time even in my own 76er!

- Firstly I normally bridge out the fan temp switch with a jump wire to see if the temp switch is faulty. If the fan doesn't work move onto the next item....

- The fan earth connection can deteriorate! Check & make sure & clean the earth connection of the fan on the chassis leg where all the light earth connections are on the LH chassis leg.

- The fuse can also corrode & cause the fan not to work. Make sure the fuse connection's are clean & it can also not hurt to twist/rotate the fuse around a couple of times in its holder. Should be the 30A fuse on the furthest RH/Drivers side.

I'd check these items first. Make sure you have battery voltage at the power supply wire to the temp switch.

Hope this helps

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the thoughtful answer. I'll check 'em out first. Hoping it's just something simple!
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

Ok, right. Today I took it for a test drive to see if it was still overheating. It was fine, but the fan still isn't working, and the gauge seemed to be sitting in the off position for too long.

I looked at the right hand most fuse, which sparked (and blew) when I touched it (power off). Definitely blown now. But it's 16A. None are 30A as suggested above.

Does anyone know the correct amperage for the far right hand fuse and what it is for??

I can't find my owner's handbook and the Haynes manual is useless.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

Ok, replaced fuse (16A) and all appears well in MK1 land. No overheating and fan is working.

Crisis averted. You can all stop worrying now.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!