Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mk1 Golf project - slow build thread

My Mk1 Golf project - slow build thread

A week and a half ago I finally bought an older Volkswagen. My first car was a Mk3 that I drove from 2004-2008, then I got my current Mk4. I've wanted to buy something older for a while now, but I was never quite sure what to buy. I've been looking over build threads here and there and most recently, after drooling over Alex's swallowtail build thread and a few others I was inspired to go ahead and get a Mk1 that might have needed a little work, but that would hopefully allow me to learn a bit more about restoring and modifying beyond just installing coilovers and swaybars etc.

So here is my purchase: it's a 1976 February-built 3 door that at some stage in the past has been repainted from Harbour Blue to a burnt orange colour. I'm not sure where this colour is from, anyone have any ideas?

Pictures:

I'll update this with more stuff this evening, off to work for me now. I have a bit of a list I'll post up of stuff I need to tackle and I might be PMing some of you for advice and information. It's currently not running and that is my first goal.

I look forward to learning alot, meeting a few different people with this build, and improving my skills a bit.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

Users Country Flag
    welcome to the fold mate
    VW: it aint just a car, its a way of life
    There are few things more satisfying in life than finding a solution to a problem and implementing it
    My Blog: tinkererstales.blogspot.com.au

Nice work, dude.

Glad to see more and more getting fixed up and not scrapped.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Users Country Flag
    Matt, have you ever driven or been a passenger in a MK1? They're rough, noisy, smelly, break down often and a great way to meet lots of people in the automotive repair industry- and they are the good points!They are also highly adictive, massive fun and guaranteed to put a smile on your face at least twice a trip. Most people who own one will admit to occasionally taking the long way home just for the extra driving fun.Welcome to the "other side".Paul

Users Country Flag
    nice one... whats the plans?

welcome to the mk 1 club!

can't wait to see how you go. Good to see ya got a garage there, always a good start!

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfMan View Post
    welcome to the fold mate
    Thanks mate, glad to finally have one. You southerners guys seem to have a good scene and get together to build cars quite a bit. Hopefully that can happen a bit more up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post
    Nice work, dude.

Glad to see more and more getting fixed up and not scrapped.
    Cheers Preeny. It does need quite a bit of metal work but I'm willing to learn. Some bits though have quite a bearing on structural safety and I feel that it might be better to get someone professional to fix (the A-pillar and newly discovered front right fibreglassed inner guards).

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Matt, have you ever driven or been a passenger in a MK1? They're rough, noisy, smelly, break down often and a great way to meet lots of people in the automotive repair industry- and they are the good points!They are also highly adictive, massive fun and guaranteed to put a smile on your face at least twice a trip. Most people who own one will admit to occasionally taking the long way home just for the extra driving fun.Welcome to the "other side".Paul
    Hi Paul, I haven't ever been in a Mk1 but have always wanted to. I know what you mean by driving the long way round just for the fun of it though, Dad and I used to have a 1968 Austin 1800 and I'd always go for long and somewhat undefined-destination journeys for the hell of it. I actually do that in my Mk4 now though, take way to work with the twistier roads

Your Mk1 was another that I've recently been looking at and thinking that it'd be great to own a Mk1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    welcome to the mk 1 club!

can't wait to see how you go. Good to see ya got a garage there, always a good start!
    Yeah I moved out of a townhouse recently and so it's great to have more space. That's another reason I could get the car. Three garage spaces do help, I've just got to make good use of them now.
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

Quote Originally Posted by cdogg View Post
    nice one... whats the plans?
    Cheers mate, I see that you too have recently started fixing up a four door and are taking on some work with it too. It looks good so far!

My plans were to get it running first, get the brakes and suspension all working well and to then try and register it as-is, but I'd say that this really depends on the level of rust in the car, and the general view that RWC places take with rust and rego. I would like it to be safe foremost and so I am increasingly thinking that I'd like to tackle the rust soonish.

I've just pulled the front left guard off as it had a little paint bubbling and rust coming through. I found that when the car was repainted it probably had a bit of rust and instead of properly fixing it with metal, the person has instead packed the rust hole with fibreglass and then painted over this fibre glass. I'll get a better picture of what I'm talking about tomorrow when it's daylight and I've pulled the fibreglass off completely, but it's basically the part from the front left strut backwards toward the door hinge + fire wall, spanning from the rain tray area down a litte bit below. It's not the complete section, but rather a bit in the middle. Not stoked by any means, but even with this discovery I feel spurred on to get it fixed.

So on to getting this thing started with a question about the fuse box: Now I've replaced all the fuses and followed the listing written up in the FAQ & DIY thread in this section in terms of 8a and 16a fuse allocations, but I'm sure that I'm missing at least one relay (is that what those things above the fuses are?). Does anyone see anything wrong with the fuse box from a glance?

The fuse box is as below:

Also, don't worry, I have bought a manual - I got Poor Richard's guide... but it's still in the mail from the UK. Can anyone recommend resources that have proved vital in their Mk1 ownership. I'm finding Pete Jones' threads great reads.
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

nice to see another mk1 being restored.
    the fuse box looks pretty good to me. my fuse box has always been missing that middle relay. mines also missing the second one from the right as well and everything works fine.

Thanks for that mate. The hunt continues for the reason it won't start then. I think that I've got a mate who might be able to help me out with electrical stuff sometime.
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast