Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mk1 Golf project - slow build thread

Dang thats a lot of rust. I hoep the car didnt cost ya too much... Id be a little concerned if the previous owner said it was rust free.

Nah, the PO didn't say it would be rust free. I'm obviously not happy about the amount of rust, but you've got to learn this stuff some time.

I've taken some more pictures of the strip down progress, I'm just having some drama getting the front seats out. They seem like they look different to all the other pictures of the rail fronts I've found. They don't have a bold right at the front of the rail (that I can see).

Any ideas? Do 76ers have different seats?
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

Users Country Flag
    should be the same system, there is a little screw under the front locking part of the seatbase that you unscrew and take out the metal clip that it holds down, then it should slide all the way back

Thank you heaps Dan - I tried that yesterday arvo and it worked like a charm, seats are out and rusty floors exposed.
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

So I've pulled the hatch off, removed the seat belts, taken out the front and back seats, and removed all the carpet and foam padding and newspaper from Golf so as to check out the state of the floors.

After I took Dan's advice and removed the little screw from the tab the front seats slid right out and I was set.

And some good news finally, no rust in the front driver's side quarter (from first looks)

And a big thank you goes to my two friends:

Noob question:
    Also, I've highlighted some stuff in the photo below - I think it looks like some type of tape or fibreglass from the factory over some random holes. Anyone seen this before and have you removed this stuff and replaced it with something?
    Last edited by madglf3; 07-08-2011 at 07:49 PM.
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

Users Country Flag
    It's just tape. I'd replace it with race tape or aluminium tape.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Or weld the holes shut? Are they only for the small amount of rust proofing/cavity waxing from factory?

I was thinking that might be a good move, once I've taken the fuel tank out obviously

Another random question I have is about my car not having the little circular cover found where the back seats usually are, directly behind the driver's side seat. I'm assuming this is something fuel related - I've seen it on pretty much every other car but mine.
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by madglf3 View Post
    Another random question I have is about my car not having the little circular cover found where the back seats usually are, directly behind the driver's side seat. I'm assuming this is something fuel related
    You've just got an early MK1. The cars you've seen are later.

On the late cars this plate accesses the fuel level sender.

On your car the fuel sender is in the side of the tank, on the drivers side I think and is accessed from under the car.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Ah okay, that's good to know Pete. I think I'd even seen other 76ers with this panel so I wasn't sure. Congrats on the B1 being featured in VWMA too!
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast