Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: MK1 Ragtop

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Just a quick update. Spent a little time yesterday pulling out the engine.. did those hub nuts need some motivation or what! Sent my loyal ratchet to its grave
    Did get a little stumped on the inner cvj bolts. Trying to figure out whether theyre triple square or spline and what size.. my haynes manual seemed to have left that bit of info out

Also what are peoples opinions on the standard brakes? Looks to be the girling type with the extra piston. Factory on all gls and diesels? Hows the stopping power with these and the additional mk3 booster+mc? Where have people bought their vrs gasket kits from?

Users Country Flag
    Inner cv are triple square as standard, size 8 iirc.
    Assume your brakes are solidddisk, if so can't comment. However 239mm vented are more than adequate for road use even if running with more power. Mk3 booster and 22mm mc is a worthwhile upgrade, makes a big difference.
    Gav

Yepp solid disc, however a gti system seems hard to get a hold of. I'm planning on running the 1.6 for a while so I'll look into calipers and discs later.
    But definately going down the road of a mk3 booster and mc

Another update, pick up myself some goodies for the mk1!
    Some 4-1 headers
    Dgav weber
    Passat manifold
    TA Technix coilovers
    (Thanks peter!!!)

Noticed that the ports from the carbi to the mani dont perfectly line up, is it just a port matching job? Or should I be looking for an adapter plate?

Cant seem to find the vacuum bung on the weber to go to the distributor. Also curious on what the two small bungs are on the passat manifold for? Just had a hose looping them together, could I send one to the distributor?

Unsure on what the three big pipes are for on the dgav. Id assume the one coming up on an angle is the fuel inlet, and the other a fuel return? And one is the float overflow/breather?

Moar progress shots!!

Fuel lines should have arrows indicating feed and return.

Standard brakes in good condition with Mk3 booster and MC will be adequate. The 239mm vented disc and GTI spec caliper is definately a great upgrade. Better disc cooling, and the pad is about twice the size. Keep your eyes peeled for anyone wrecking a cabby, lots of good bits that would come in handy. Brakes, sway bar, 5 speed, engine, seats, etc etc etc.

IIRC, one of the bungs on the manifold is for vaccum to the booster, and the other two will be for cooling.

Given how rusty you car appears to be, I'd be going back to bare metal where possible, and probably using a stripper to help me.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Fuel lines should have arrows indicating feed and return.

Standard brakes in good condition with Mk3 booster and MC will be adequate. The 239mm vented disc and GTI spec caliper is definately a great upgrade. Better disc cooling, and the pad is about twice the size. Keep your eyes peeled for anyone wrecking a cabby, lots of good bits that would come in handy. Brakes, sway bar, 5 speed, engine, seats, etc etc etc.

IIRC, one of the bungs on the manifold is for vaccum to the booster, and the other two will be for cooling.

Given how rusty you car appears to be, I'd be going back to bare metal where possible, and probably using a stripper to help me.
    They both seem to point away from the carb as a return would, but eh ill sus em out eventually.
    As for the bungs in the manifold, the coolant and booster bungs on the 4th cylinder port I know of, but between cyl 2 and 3 there are 2 small hose bungs, would they suffice for the distributor vac line?

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast