Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK1 Golf Tassie. Lets see how this goes.

MK1 Golf Tassie. Lets see how this goes.

Hey all.
    Here is my first ever golf!!!
    Ive been signed up to vw watercooled since college as i always liked them but just never got the motivation to actually do anything about it.

So after much deliberation i finally have myself a nice little 1978 Mark1 4 Door.

I got it from Hobart and (very) slowly drove it back to Launceston tonight. It has a bracket missing or something so the muffler was scraping the deck at every bump, and the front suspension is very sloppy. Going to fix both of these in the morning with new suspension and a look under the car. Also thinking of putting in some coilovers in it in the near future if anyone has any recommendations or advice that would be great, thanks!
    Quite tidy inside, just want to do a few things to the outside and do a general little project and get to know these awesome little cars... Heres a few pics...

Last edited by pag3y; 29-01-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: hopefully get pics working

Users Country Flag
    Congrats on the new project, pics don't seem to work?.
    Coilover brands like JOM seem to fit in the middle of the market
    and brands like KW if you want to spend the money and get something a lot better.
    making some time to google is rewarding and fun.
    exhaust hitting the decks...classic i once had an old saab one of my first cars and on a surf trip the exhaust broke just after the
    downpipe we had to try hold it up with surfboard leash till we got home lol

Users Country Flag
    Well done congrats on the purchase! Pics dont work for me either. Is it the red one that is on gumtree?

Ahh yeah I will have to try and figure the pictures out when I'm back on a pc. Exhaust was easy to fix but I now have a bit of a leak :/ and yeah it's the red one on gumtree. Having a look for coilovers but keep getting distracted by all the nice pics! The suspension it came with didn't fit which just means the coilies will have to get here stat! Can't wait

Users Country Flag
    congrats on the project, another golf project in tas, i started with 4drs, as a person that had standard suspension as many have the change in my lil mk1 was nuts,
    1977 2dr golf gls (Gti look a like with 2e convertion
    1978 Golf Gti barn find
    2013 Amarok Highline daily
    2017 Golf wagon wife’s daily

Just pulled a wheel off and EVERY wheel bolt is different... Should these be fairly easy to source, or what are the specs for these? Thanks heaps if someone can help me out with this

Users Country Flag
    Are u planning to put mags or your little red beast if u are I d get long studs ones now, only my opinion
    1977 2dr golf gls (Gti look a like with 2e convertion
    1978 Golf Gti barn find
    2013 Amarok Highline daily
    2017 Golf wagon wife’s daily

FINALLY got the pics up and running ^
    I discovered the link between Maguires polish and Magic having the same first three letters, awesome stuff!
    polished all the black strips on doors, bumpers, seals and guards.
    Also gave it a good vacuum to see where the carpet is at as far as looking at a clean and colour or whatever. Its alright but a bit shabby in places so still to assess that in the future.
    Guards will probably need a proper paint as they are getting well faded.
    Had a look at the original seats. The backs are both pretty good but the bottoms of them both have weird brown varnish looking stains or something so i dont really know where im at with that...

Getting a bit of a rough list in my head together of what i want with this thing, short and long term.

short term things are front suspension (terrible to drive as is) put some new bolts in, try and get some bolts or screws to fix my grill in as it is currently running the cable tie set up at the moment. just going to screw the centre console back in as it is just sitting there as is.

do you know anywhere locally that might have the long bolts hazards? and would that affect my current wheels that are on it?

Anyways ill come back to this in a few days with some more detailed pics and hopefully a reasonable list of what im hoping to aim for with this car. cheers guys!!!

and any suspension help as far as coilover websites or whatever would be great. would love to get some locally (AUS or TAS) but i guess ill see what is out there. sorry for the long read.

Users Country Flag
    Hey Cam!! Love the little fella - looks like an awesome canvas

I got long wheel bolts from Bob Jane (bathurst st) for my little blue golf.. set me back about $3.50 each! I think from memory they were 52mm long thread.. Just make sure when you put them in they aren't too long.

As for suspension - i might have the original suspension from a one of mine laying around mum and dads - feel free to message sam and get him to have a look for ya.

I also know the guy who bought my blue golf has it sitting in his garage and was pretty keen to sell it off.. could offer him a couple of hundy for the JOM coilovers i put in before i sold it - they were brand new - driven on for less than 6 months. gave me 110mm drop to.

Message me if you need anything else.
    2012 Ford Focus - Panther Black

Previous - 1977 VW Golf GLS - 2E (beige beast)
    Previous - 1976 VW Golf Ls (flipper blue)

Hey josh, you're a legend man!

I'll go have a look and see what i can find at uncle bobs tonight or on the weekend if i dont have time.

Do you know who has the blue thing at the moment? maybe i could pm them or see if you still have their number or whatevs?
    I might give sanga an ask if i have to, its like riding the ocean at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast